Revolution lamp contacts

Hi,

We've had some problems with the lamp contacts on our revolutions arcing.  We have 4 revolutions and in the past couple of years I've had to replace the lamp contacts 3 times.  I can't tell for sure whether the problem is in the contacts or the lamp itself.  It seems that arcing is occurring and heating the contact on the lamp side enough that the metal from the lamp fuses with the contact and eventually develops a gap where the metal on the lamp contact bends and goes into the porcelain.  We always make sure the lamp is seated fully and check that the springs are still applying pressure to the connections.

Is anyone else having this problem?  Does it seem likely that we got a bad batch of lamps or is it more of a design problem?

Thanks,
Mat

Parents
  • We've never had that issue.. Are your using the 575W lamps? If your sure it's nothing else like the power supply then it sounds like the problem has to be the lamps.. Is there any smoke or anything?
  • No the Revolution lamps are 750watt. (QXL 750w/77v)  We don't use the longlife ones either.  If no one else is having the problem I could believe it's a bad batch of lamps since we're still going through the spares we purchased when we got the fixtures.  I'll just be waiting to see if it happens again so I can send one off to ETC.  In the meantime I've gotten much quicker at putting the lamp base assembly back together.
  • No the Revolution lamps are 750watt. (QXL 750w/77v)  We don't use the longlife ones either.  If no one else is having the problem I could believe it's a bad batch of lamps since we're still going through the spares we purchased when we got the fixtures.  I'll just be waiting to see if it happens again so I can send one off to ETC.  In the meantime I've gotten much quicker at putting the lamp base assembly back together.
Children
  • Hi,

I have now had a Source Four Revolution lamp burn up it's contacts.  We have six that are about 2-1/2 years old and we had not had to change a single lamp in that time.  They are not heavily used.  I discovered the burned contacts when looking into why it no worky.  Had to really crank on the lamp to get it out, then noticed the burnt contact on the lamp.  A new lamp has not brought the fixture back to life, even with scratching around the fixture contact points in an attempt to clean them up.  The old lamp still has continuity and except for the contacts looks fine.  The lamps were part of our original order from ETC and are Osram QXL 750w/77v J5a8.  I will hold on to the old one and send it in if ETC would like.  I do not think they are "bad" lamps.  I can't help but wonder at the connection design.  After spending more than two decades changing out burnt FEL and EHG lamps and bases I really hope this is not the case here.

Now I need at least two Revolution lamp contact bases and instruction on how to change them out.  I don't see it in the manual or the WIKI.

Thanks for any assistance,

Eugene Palmer
    Theater, Dance and Performance Studies
    UC Berkeley

• Hi Eugene,

are you sure the lamps were completely turned into place in the socket? even a millimeter not closed,

could cause an air gap to be left and allow for arching eventually?

To get the spare parts, please contact your local dealer

or ETC Tech Services to see about finding a solution for you.

For technical support in the Americas, please call 608/831-4116, or toll-free in the U.S. at 800/688-4116.
    For technical support in Europe, please call (+44) 20 8896 1000.
    For technical support in Germany, please call (+49) 8024 4700-0
    For technical support in Asia, please call (+852) 2799 1220.

Have a good week!

• Eugene,

I had the same thing happen back in May with one of my four year old Revolutions. One contact completely welded to the burner assembly & it took a pair of channel locks to pry it loose. My units are used nearly daily, but this is the first & only time I've had this problem. I'm not sure how many hours I had on the lamp.

You will likely need the lamp burner sub assembly. I believe the part number is 7160A2021 (be sure to confirm this with ETC tech support). You'll also need to get them to send you the instructions to replace it; as you found, there's nothing in the manual or online documentation on how to do it. It's pretty easy once you have the instructions. The hardest part of the entire job was hauling it down, then back up to the FOH catwalk position where it lives. The part cost just over $40 through my dealer.

Good luck,

Keith Ellison

Henry County Performing Arts Center

• HI,

The instrument with burnt contacts is in a fixed FOH position and hadn't been moved in about 18 months, so I do not think the lamp was somehow jarred loose.  It certainly seemed seated and turned fully when I pulled it.

• I've successfully replaced just the contacts that sit in the lamp base.  It's a little tricky to get the springs lined up but they go together without too much trouble.  I'm pretty sure the contacts were only a couple of bucks a piece.

Related