Source 4 Mini LED and the City Theatrical D2 SHoW DMX Neo Dimmer

Hi All-

I'm thinking about creating a wireless battery powered solution for the source 4 mini LED using the City Theatrical D2 SHoW DMX Neo Dimmer and a 12v battery. I've looked around and couldn't find an answer so I figured I'd ask it here, would it be possible to give the S4 Mini a 12v dimmed input? I could do a DC/AC Inverter but it seems like you shouldn't have to go from DC to AC to DC.

Thanks for your help and thoughts!

Parents
  • It sounds like you're picturing the S4 Mini LED as though it were a regular S4 Mini with an LED MR16 instead of the regular incandescent lamp.  If that were the case, then what you're describing might be an option.  However, the LED version uses a 120VAC driver that powers the LED directly.  Obviously the LED is driven by a lower DC voltage, but the 120VAC electronics are what controls the amount of voltage and current allowed to pass through the LED.  There's no intermediate step where a 12VDC supply could be inserted.

The inverter idea is unlikely to help you either.  I'm not aware of any inverters that would be happy running with a dimmed input supply, and the output of an inexpensive inverter is not something you could successfully use to power a line-voltage dimmer.  It wouldn't hurt to try if you've got the parts laying around, but I would expect poor dimming performance.

For your purposes it may work better to try a conventional S4 Mini with a 3rd party MR16 LED.  The idea would be to remove the electronic transformer from the fixture and power the LED directly with your battery and City Theatrical dimmer.  You may have to experiment a bit to find an LED replacement lamp that performs well with this arrangement.  You can also expect to get less output from the fixture, since the optics of LED products are different from an incandescent lamp.

• It sounds like you're picturing the S4 Mini LED as though it were a regular S4 Mini with an LED MR16 instead of the regular incandescent lamp.  If that were the case, then what you're describing might be an option.  However, the LED version uses a 120VAC driver that powers the LED directly.  Obviously the LED is driven by a lower DC voltage, but the 120VAC electronics are what controls the amount of voltage and current allowed to pass through the LED.  There's no intermediate step where a 12VDC supply could be inserted.

The inverter idea is unlikely to help you either.  I'm not aware of any inverters that would be happy running with a dimmed input supply, and the output of an inexpensive inverter is not something you could successfully use to power a line-voltage dimmer.  It wouldn't hurt to try if you've got the parts laying around, but I would expect poor dimming performance.

For your purposes it may work better to try a conventional S4 Mini with a 3rd party MR16 LED.  The idea would be to remove the electronic transformer from the fixture and power the LED directly with your battery and City Theatrical dimmer.  You may have to experiment a bit to find an LED replacement lamp that performs well with this arrangement.  You can also expect to get less output from the fixture, since the optics of LED products are different from an incandescent lamp.

Children
Related