Reduced output - Reflectors? How do you check them?

I'm trying to suss out a reduced output issue I'm having with some of my fixtures. They're all about the same age, but have seen differing amounts of (random) service.

I'm suspecting it's an issue with the reflectors, but I'm not sure what to look for to confirm this - a rudimentary inspection doesn't show much, if any, difference (to my eye, at the moment) between a "good" fixture's reflector and a "bad" one.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Parents
  • The reflector has a mirror coating plated onto the surface of the glass. If you remove the lens barrel, open the shutters, and look at the reflector it should look "silvery" across the whole surface. Any discoloration will reduce output. The coating will flake off if the fixture overheats and you will see dark spots where this happens. I have seen reflectors in such bad shape that you could easily see through most of the glass.
  • The reflector has a mirror coating plated onto the surface of the glass. If you remove the lens barrel, open the shutters, and look at the reflector it should look "silvery" across the whole surface. Any discoloration will reduce output. The coating will flake off if the fixture overheats and you will see dark spots where this happens. I have seen reflectors in such bad shape that you could easily see through most of the glass.
Children
Related