ETC LED Luster S2 vs ColourSpot colour limitations

(changing from the Ion forum)

I'm looking at purchasing some LED ellipsoidal units in the new year.  I've seen the ColourSource adn the Luster 2 today.  The paperwork says that the 7 colour luster 2 head has a wider range of colours than the 4 colour RGB-L Coloursource unit.

Is there a way of determining what colours can or cannot be achieved with each unit?

I looked at the Ion colour picker (1.3.1) but my limited knowledge of the colour picker (I don't have any DMX colour devices yet) didn't answer my question for me.

Thanks everyone.  I'll have more questions tomorrow that I couldn't get from the local sales rep, or the paperwork, when I have more time to type.

Andrew

• Hi Andrew,

I'd suggest getting a demo of the fixtures side by side.  There's really no equivalent for seeing them in your space together especially if you're going to be replacing conventional units.

I haven't programmed a show with them, but from what I've seen the Color Source engine doesn't do the deep blues as well - it doesn't have the indigo emitter that the Series 2 has.

If you're running 1.3 on your Ion, I'd strongly suggest updating as there have been quite a few changes for color since then.

Hope this helps,

Scott

• my bad. currently 2.3.1. (so I'm not that far behind). Hope to get to 2.3.2 over the Christmas break.
    I did see the Coloursource and Lustr 2 side by side, along with a 750w S4. Some of the colour matching to the gel was . . . Odd, but that doesn't mean that can't be fixed by creating our own "corrected" palettes.
    And there is no Coloursource user's manual on the web-site. I just see the quick guide and installation guide, which don't contain enough info for me (hence the next posting with more questions).

Thanks.
Related