How to re-align lenses in source four zoom

Hi All,

I have a 15-30 zoom in which it appears the lenses aren't lined up with the cog properly (it won't zoom out to the full 30degrees) what is the best way to realign this? I'd rather avoid taking the entire thing apart into a hundred pieces if possible, is there a way to loosen it just enough so I can just shift the teeth along? Do I come in from the end or by loosening the focus knob?

Thanks!

• Hi Rachel,

You can check if the lenses are in the right place by opening the side door of the lens tube and looking in there, you will see a couple of lines on the cog which should line up with lines on the top and bottom gear racks. If those line up on the same bit of gear then it's not an alignment issue.

If they are out of place then you need to remove the focus knob so you can lift and turn the main gear, it's bit fiddly to lift out the main gear but it does have flat edges that just about allow it to slide out between the gear racks. Line it all back up properly and re-attach the focus knob. When tightening the screw on the focus knob you need to make sure it's not over tight otherwise the gears won't move even when unlocked. You need to find the point where the lenses are locked when the lever is down but will move when released.

You can always call us if you have any problems with it.

Steve
Related