S4 LED Power Thru limits

In the fine print of the Source Four LED User Manual v.1.8.0a (dated Nov. 2015) page 10 and 81 it says:

"No more than nine total Source Four LED (four total Series 2 Lustr) fixtures on Power Thru"

But on the *datasheet* dated Jan. 2016 it says:

"Up to nine Lustr or seven Daylight HD/Tungsten HD luminaires
(15A max) may be linked via power thru connector (10 Lustr
or 8 Daylight HD/Tungsten HD fixtures total per circuit) when
used with R20 Relay Module or Unison® Echo™ Relay Panel"

So can someone confirm what the real limit is - and even better tell us all the criteria? Is it just fixture wattage vs. the 15 amp rating of the supplied 14/3 PowerCon fixture cable, or does inrush current play a part?

Considering the range in wattage of all the S4 LED fixtures, maybe this Power Thru limit belongs in the chart on page 11?

And please note this limitation is not mentioned at all in the ColorSource documentation.

Finally, why is the supplied PowerCon fixture cable type SJTOW when we are hearing about greater enforcement of the NEC ban on "Junior Hard Service" cable use in theatres?

Parents
  • And of course as soon as i posted that, i finally found it in the ColorSource Installation Manual . . . which agrees with the datasheet limit of 10 fixtures - with slightly higher fixture wattage than Series 2 Lustr.
  • In reply to all:
    LED luminaires containing electronic controllers consume large currents when energized: “Inrush current” and leak some current to safety earth: “Leakage current” These currents limit the numbers of luminaires that may be operated on common electrical supplies.

Using ETC Sensor for switching, considering the breaker curve as well as GFCI/RCD 30mA trip point the recommended no. of fixtures per channel are:

Source Four LED 10A-15A circuits 8 fixtures
    & ColorSource Spot 20A circuits 10 fixtures

Source Four LED 10-15A circuits 10 fixtures
    Series 2 20A circuits 12 fixtures

3rd party switchgear may allow less - consult your supplier for advise

Sorry for inconsistent literature information- we'll amend!

• - And I should have replied, that this also reflects on PowerCON Thru connectorized daisy chaining
  • Do the figures of how many lanterns can be daisy chained change depending on voltage?
    Do these figures apply on 240V the same as 120V, as I can imagine the leakage currents will be different?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Theatre Technician
    Nuffield Theatre, Southampton. UK.
  • Source Four LED 10A-15A circuits 8 fixtures
    & ColorSource Spot 20A circuits 10 fixtures

Source Four LED 10-15A circuits 10 fixtures
    Series 2 20A circuits 12 fixtures

Erik,

Please note that you have quoted 2 values for the same thing here.

Reply Children
No Data
Related