Revolution color scroller fan

Can someone tell me how the fan for the color scroller is controlled?  We have the original style scrollers and are using a Congo for control.  I can't seem to get the fans to turn on.  The Congo profile says that the 14th DMX channel controls the fan, the manual says this is reserved and the Obsession II profile calls it color function.  I haven't had a chance to check yet but I'm pretty sure the fans on the revolutions being controlled by the Obsession are working.

Thanks,
Mat

• Once you have patched the S4Rs into your show - which scroller did you use? 12 String Scroller, or 12 String Wybron?

Once patched, once you hit Color Parameter, you will see the Attribute FAN in the Moving Light Display - 0% = FULL FAN, 100% = FAN OFF 

The DMX channel will always set minimum speed for the gel fan.  The speed of the fan is inversely proportional to the DMX value.  DMX = 0% è Fan = 100% and DMX = 100% è Fan = 0%.  Furthermore if the optical system is setup into a state that we know will burn gel we turn on the fan to a very SLOW speed to get air moving across the gel. (zoom>50%, lamp>75%).

That Help?

[edited by: corey at 4:40 PM (GMT -6) on Fri, Nov 14 2008]
  • We use costume gel strings so we've created a 20 frame gel string for this particular show.  I did find the Fan attribute but moving it from 0% to 100% had no effect on the fan.  I did notice that in the profile the fan speed channel (14) was inverted making 0% slow fan and 100% fast fan.  I unchecked the invert box because the fan channel is at 0% in our cues. 

I've looked at newer manuals online and see that there is now a fan channel where as the manuals that came with the fixtures list that channel as reserved.  Is there a firmware update we need to do?  There was also mention of a thermal sensor that will override the fan channel in the new manual.  Does this exist in the older versions of the S4R?

• Howdy Matt,

do you know when your S4Rs were purchased? Or can you PM the SNs, then I can check the

Firmware that was on them when they delivered to you when I get back in the office next week.

I can't recall from the top of my head when the Temp Control was active in the S4R.

What happens to the Fan when it is then (inverted) at 100% and your channel Intensity is at 0%?

thanks,

- corey

• Mat:

I've looked at newer manuals online and see that there is now a fan channel where as the manuals that came with the fixtures list that channel as reserved.  Is there a firmware update we need to do?  There was also mention of a thermal sensor that will override the fan channel in the new manual.  Does this exist in the older versions of the S4R?

Prior to the time that the fan speed was controllable, it would have been on by default and regulated by the temperature sensor.  Your fan (or part of the circuit controlling it) may very well have something wrong with it.

• I've recieved the firmware updater from ETC and that seems to have solved the problem.  I'll put the fixture into use today and if all goes well I'll soon have all of our revolutions with working fans and much extended gel life.
  • I everyone.

We bought only 10 Revolution in October of 2006 and I always also have that problem with the fan until now. I never know if it's on or off cause on time I tried the Fan parameter with a Congo and I don´t see any diference. I've realise that the fan is on or off cause if I try to put the Fan parameter at 50% it's the same as on at full.

Were can I get that firmware updater? maybe it soves the problem.

Thanks 

• I called tech support and they were able to help.  You can probably also get one from your local dealer.

• Howdy Pedro,

The logic behind the S4R Scroller Fan is that when the Lamp Intensity is above 75% or

the Zoom Lens greater than 50% is, then the Scroller Fan will stay on, because

its been found that in these two possibilites, the gel string could burn through somewhat

quicker.

So if you want to make sure your Scroller Fan is off, please turn make sure the Zoom is

below 50% and the lamp intensity is below 75%.

Does that help you?

Related