ColorSource Spot

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, I wasn't sure where else to go. Our church recently purchased 10 ColorSource Spot RGB lights. I am failing to understand the difference between 5-channel and Direct. In 5-channel mode, does the fixture handle the lime mixing or is lime left out altogether? When we run direct, and leave lime off, the resulting light is not cool white as I would expect from a full RGB mix. Instead, it is very magenta/pink. When mixing for a warm white on 5-channel, it is difficult to achieve a nice 3200K warm white from the console. We couldn't afford an ETC console so we're using something (M-PC and M-touch) that doesn't have the correct profile. Instead, we're using the built-in profile for ColorSource Linear. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Parents
  • yes, in 5 channel mode the fixture will add lime.

in direct you have to do add lime yourself. it's correct that if you leave away Lime you don't get white. that's part of the reason why fixtures with four colors are considered to be of higher quality because with RGB you can't get a good white.
    with color source fixtures it's even a bit more extreme - the color mixing system is not RGBL, it's actually RRGBL, so without lime you're even further off white than with a regular RGB.
    for 3200K in 5channel mode try Red=100%, Green=82% and Blue=47%

to see the difference between 5channel and direct mode: www.etcconnect.com/.../DownloadAsset.aspx
    page 7 has the different modes.

does that help?
  • yes, in 5 channel mode the fixture will add lime.

in direct you have to do add lime yourself. it's correct that if you leave away Lime you don't get white. that's part of the reason why fixtures with four colors are considered to be of higher quality because with RGB you can't get a good white.
    with color source fixtures it's even a bit more extreme - the color mixing system is not RGBL, it's actually RRGBL, so without lime you're even further off white than with a regular RGB.
    for 3200K in 5channel mode try Red=100%, Green=82% and Blue=47%

to see the difference between 5channel and direct mode: www.etcconnect.com/.../DownloadAsset.aspx
    page 7 has the different modes.

does that help?
Children
Related