S4 Rev as followspot?

I have any idea, and was wondering if anyone has some insight.

The Rev has smooth Pan / Tilt and the whole thing can be controlled from the console. Will there be any problems if I disconnect the pan and tilt motors and use it as a followspot? I've done this with Mac 2k's and attached a handle to to the back. Am I crazy for wanting to try this? Also note they will still be in a hanging position, and not set up like a normal followspot.

Kirk

Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks all for your replies.

The pan and tilt motors have been disconnected (not the belts), and I am going to test them once my Vista gets here on Friday.

Why do I want to do this?
    A musical is going into a thrust theatre and I don't want the look of typical followpots like in our proscenium. I love the look of just using a S4 as a followspot, lamped up to 750, with a handle, iris, and color boomerang. We own the fixtures, so it doesn't cost me anything like buying a Cyberlight would. And to boot, one of the Revs is having a problem holding it's tilt position (but that's another issue I'm working on). I would only use them as re-programmable specials, so I might as well have an operator do the following rather than spending the time in programming.

–Kirk

Related