Source 4 Maintenance Schedule.

So I work at an outdoor theater in southern california. I have come to the end of what I can deal with fixing our old fixtures and have gotten preliminary approval to purchase about 18 S4 next before the next summer season. With additional purchases being made in the future. 

My question is this... 

Since the lights will be outdoors from June - August each year. I talked to a friend who used to lone fixtures to another outdoor theater in the area and he said he would get 3 - 5 years before having to rebuild S4 Pars. 

Should I advise a 4 year maintenance schedule? I read in the knowledge base that the shutters of a S4 ellipsoidal should be cleaned with steal wool and the shutter divider plates should be replaced when the shutters get sticky. Should this be on the same 4 year schedule or on an 8 year schedule? I know the exact environmental factors will play a role so I am just trying to get an idea of a maintenance schedule so I don't end up with the mess I have now (a pile of non working non maintained fixtures). 

Also I have only performed basic maintenance on the S4, how much time (per ellipsoidal) should I budget for a basic rebuild (lamp base and shutter) and cleaning?

It may seem a bit anal but the theater has been doing shows for the past 85 years and the last time they purchased new lights was about 1985 and I would like this purchase to serve for at least the next 25 years. 

Thanks for the help. And for making the best damn light.... well ever!

Parents
  • Well 4 years would be nice.. Considering you'll only have 18.. But when you start getting more, I would reccomend a rolling basis. Where you clean say a select number ever year the next year some other ones.. and then in 4 years you would be back to cleaning the ones you started with 4 yrs ago. Also ETC gives this advise:

ETC offers the following recommendations when cleaning and inspecting lenses
    and reflectors:
    Do not use glass or window type cleaners on lenses (glass or polymer) or
    reflectors.
    Do not use abrasive materials such as steel wool.
    Replace lenses if they contain visible damage (cracks or deep scratches) ...
    They recommend using a lint free cloth with vinegar..
    I like using terry cloths they can work well and sometimes without a cleaning substance.

• Randall

John is correct.  18 fixtures are not hard to deal with, but the more you get the harder it is going to become.  Talking from my former life before coming to ETC when I worked in an outdoor venue, I would spend 2 weeks at the end of the season and two weeks before the season prepping and cleaning fixtures. 

- Before the season started, I would soak all clamps in WD40, blow out all the fixtures, remark and label as required, fix what ever still needed repair. 

- After each season, would clean reflectors, and lens, and inspect shutters if needed.

- From a rental point of view cleaning, painting, relabeling, and benching take about 30 minutes per fixture.  This is a good base to start with.  Obviously some fixtures are going to require more TLC then others but 30 minutes are a good average.

Hope this Helps

P

• LOL at the summerstock theatre never buying new equipment. I worked at a summer theatre in VA this year, and it's a blessing to have even a dozen new Source 4's. We haven't done any kind of maintenance to the level that you described (pulling apart fixtures, terry clothing lenses, soaking clamps etc.)

The equipment (everything from Source 4's to various model Par cans to Fresnels to huge scoop lights that look 1950's-era) has the typical summer stock problem of having a rotating crew, with various levels of experience, and to my knowledge, it is rarely cleaned with much thoroughness.

That said, I'm proud of the fixtures, as aside from replacing lamps and destroyed connectors, there hasn't been much that has gone wrong with fixtures that wasn't cause by a catastrophic drop or other accident. Thanks for building stout stuff, ETC!

• LOL at the summerstock theatre never buying new equipment. I worked at a summer theatre in VA this year, and it's a blessing to have even a dozen new Source 4's. We haven't done any kind of maintenance to the level that you described (pulling apart fixtures, terry clothing lenses, soaking clamps etc.)

The equipment (everything from Source 4's to various model Par cans to Fresnels to huge scoop lights that look 1950's-era) has the typical summer stock problem of having a rotating crew, with various levels of experience, and to my knowledge, it is rarely cleaned with much thoroughness.

That said, I'm proud of the fixtures, as aside from replacing lamps and destroyed connectors, there hasn't been much that has gone wrong with fixtures that wasn't cause by a catastrophic drop or other accident. Thanks for building stout stuff, ETC!

Children
No Data
Related