XWFL lense prices

I am posting here as I do not know who at ETC to direct this to.  I just called my vendor to purchase some XWFL s4 par lenses.  I figured they would be priced similar to the rest of the lenses...in the $4-$5 range.  Was more than a bit surprised to see they were $15.70.  I asked why they were more..."'Cause ETC didn't include them in the lens kit and wants to make some money"  was the answer I received.  Aren't these lenses just pressed glass.  Do these lenses have 4x more material in them?  Are they made from gold?  Is it unbreakable?  It should be something pretty spectacular to warrant 4x more $$.

Inquiring minds ya know!

Parents
  • Dear Pat,

No, ETC is not trying to riip you off selling XWFL lenses. The price is high because it's more expensive for ETC to source.
    That is one of the reasons not to consider adding it to the kit of 4 coming with the fixture. We did not want to burden all customers having to pay for a lens that isn't used that often (not as often as the rest)

Kind Regards

[edited by: erik at 9:19 AM (GMT -6) on Thu, Feb 10 2011]
  • Thanks for the kind response Erik.  Don't get me wrong, I am a fan.  Nearly every stitch of lighting equipment in my space is ETC. 

What does "more expensive to source" mean?  and 3-4x more expensive?  It just seems a little steep.  I'm in the wrong biz!  I need to get into glass pressing!

Thanks again,

• Thanks for the kind response Erik.  Don't get me wrong, I am a fan.  Nearly every stitch of lighting equipment in my space is ETC. 

What does "more expensive to source" mean?  and 3-4x more expensive?  It just seems a little steep.  I'm in the wrong biz!  I need to get into glass pressing!

Thanks again,

Children
  • The source price has to do with the fact that ETC is involved in design and specification but we are not manufacturing these lenses ourselves. So there is a 'source'  price to us. (There is also the 'cost price' that is the total price to put any piece of manufactured goods into inventory...the boxing, handling, labor, other overhead costs)  

So in this case the price different between a MFL PAR 56 MEDIUM FLOOD LENS (At around the $5 list price you talk about) and the XWFL,EXTRA-WIDE FLOOD LENS,PAR (with the ~$15.70 you talk about) equates to around a 213% price difference.

Without getting in the what our cost price is for these 2, I will say that it is well over a 500% price difference in what it costs for ETC to get the XWFL manufactured...So on a manufacturing cost v. list price / selling price....the XWFL is a better deal :-)   

Does this help?  

Sincerely,

Mike

[edited by: mmeskill at 1:27 PM (GMT -6) on Thu, Feb 10 2011]
  • Yes it does...thanks Mike.

But I don't have to like it!  We'll just leave it at that.

Related