Safety Cable Attachment to vintage ETC fixtures

I would like some clarification about how to attach a Safety Cable to vintage ETC fixtures without a cast hole in the body of the fixture. The next best location seems to be placing the cable around the Yoke of the fixture which will hold the fixture in case of C Clamp failure. 

Today I noticed a fixture came into my shop with the loop of the safety cable around the yoke itself by way of loosening on of the yoke mounting bolts and inserting the safety cable loop around the yoke. This seems like a better solution overall.

Curious to know how others solve this issue with older ETC and other OEM fixture vendors,

Jon Frost

413-348-0591

• For lanterns without the specific safety-bond attachment point, the theatres I work in do as you have described or simply loop the safety bond around the yoke and barrel. Neither is safer than the other. However, the method you describe does prevent the bond becoming easily lost or stolen: but if you have to change the bond whilst up a ladder, it is much more difficult when it is attached to the yoke as you describe. This rarely has to be done, but I have had to change a couple due to faulty springs in the catches and this is much easier (whether up a ladder or on the deck) if you don't have to remove the yoke!

• I don't think my 30" standard safety cables would fit around the barrel of a PAR or Source Four and then around a 2" pipe.... It seems to me that the most common failure is with the cast iron C Clamps. This is why a number of folks are making laser cut aluminum C clamps which don't have the small square headed bolt and only have the clamp for 2" Schedule 40 pipe. Saves weight and lower failure rate.

Being new to the theatrical lighting business after a 30 year hiatus, the technology curve is rather steep so I am asking 'newbie' questions.

Thanks for the reply.

Related