colour diffrence between different fixtures.

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes anyway.

Our venue will switch to LED in the future and since we are venue which has a different show every day with a visiting tech with his own board.

He will have to patch his board to our fixtures and pick the colours from a library somehow.

How do I set this up and more important what if I have different fixtures say like ETC and Robe do I have to have different colour libraries and is this an efficient way to do it. Or would it be better if we have one brand. Mind you this is for FOH fixtures.

Is it even possible to get same colors between brands? I doubt it.

Could some one shed some thoughts on this?

thank you in advance.

Jack.

Parents
  • There are a lot of variables at play here. Depending on what type of consoles are being used, the differences between fixture hardware and software, if the console fixture library includes calibration data for that fixture, what mode the fixtures are in, and more that I'm sure I'm not thinking about.

If for example you use all ETC ColorSource Spots and Pars, those fixtures have the same array type, use the same fixture firmware, so matching color between them is easy regardless of the console. If you try to match a ColorSource Par, which is an RGBL array, with an RGBA fixture, there are some colors that may never look exactly the same. And even RGBA vs RGBA might look slightly different due to differences in the physical LEDs being used in the fixtures.

It might be a good idea to reach out to a local dealer and see if they can set up a demo of the fixtures you're interested in, so you can answer your color questions before you make your purchase.

I hope this points you in a better direction.  

• There are a lot of variables at play here. Depending on what type of consoles are being used, the differences between fixture hardware and software, if the console fixture library includes calibration data for that fixture, what mode the fixtures are in, and more that I'm sure I'm not thinking about.

If for example you use all ETC ColorSource Spots and Pars, those fixtures have the same array type, use the same fixture firmware, so matching color between them is easy regardless of the console. If you try to match a ColorSource Par, which is an RGBL array, with an RGBA fixture, there are some colors that may never look exactly the same. And even RGBA vs RGBA might look slightly different due to differences in the physical LEDs being used in the fixtures.

It might be a good idea to reach out to a local dealer and see if they can set up a demo of the fixtures you're interested in, so you can answer your color questions before you make your purchase.

I hope this points you in a better direction.  

Children
Related