Hi

I'm intrested in buying some kind of media server - Axon / catalyst

Could anybody let me know the main difference between the two
pro's and con's of each system
What one can do that the other can't etc

cheers

K
Parents
  • If you're running multilayer HD content with constant starts and stops then Cat is best. If you want to sync to external Timecode, currently only Cat. There are some additional features I have been using too that are still somewhat experimental that Axon will not be able to do. One feature is Catalyst is that you can create submixes of outputs. I would explain this but the 4.0 manual update does a better job.

Axon is a single head where Catalyst is a dual head.

I can run 8 video inputs into Catalyst though with so many they are at a lower resolutions. This is not something Axon can do.

Axon is in a rack mount case. Catalyst is in a G5 or Mac Pro which currently requires it's own road case.

Axon you buy the box. Cat, becomes a bit more complicated.

In usage, I very much prefer Catalyst for many applications but there are different applications where Axon is a better choice.

Just doing something simple, I would say do Axon. If you get more complicated, look at Catalyst possibly but perhaps even not.

Playing with both, I think most people prefer Axon because it seems quicker and easier to use and does things you need quick. Axon is also the DL2 engine as already mentioned and if you get to a show programmed with DL2s, you can put an Axon in without reprogramming and all you loose is the moving projector functions.

For rock shows, night clubs, and small events where the media server is shooting eye candy and flash then Axon.
    If you go Corporate and want a great deal more, then Axon will do it but Cat does it better.
  • If you're running multilayer HD content with constant starts and stops then Cat is best. If you want to sync to external Timecode, currently only Cat. There are some additional features I have been using too that are still somewhat experimental that Axon will not be able to do. One feature is Catalyst is that you can create submixes of outputs. I would explain this but the 4.0 manual update does a better job.

Axon is a single head where Catalyst is a dual head.

I can run 8 video inputs into Catalyst though with so many they are at a lower resolutions. This is not something Axon can do.

Axon is in a rack mount case. Catalyst is in a G5 or Mac Pro which currently requires it's own road case.

Axon you buy the box. Cat, becomes a bit more complicated.

In usage, I very much prefer Catalyst for many applications but there are different applications where Axon is a better choice.

Just doing something simple, I would say do Axon. If you get more complicated, look at Catalyst possibly but perhaps even not.

Playing with both, I think most people prefer Axon because it seems quicker and easier to use and does things you need quick. Axon is also the DL2 engine as already mentioned and if you get to a show programmed with DL2s, you can put an Axon in without reprogramming and all you loose is the moving projector functions.

For rock shows, night clubs, and small events where the media server is shooting eye candy and flash then Axon.
    If you go Corporate and want a great deal more, then Axon will do it but Cat does it better.
Children
No Data