Replacing the GPU in the field...

So the video glitches which I mentioned in my last thread have one upped, and started throwing up an ATI Graphics Driver error message then black screening, which is making me think that there is a much deeper problem than outdated software (I am suspecting GPU, as evidenced in the title, although I am going to upgrade first just to make sure).

So my question is - I know there are a limited number of supported graphics chipsets for the axon - the ATI HD2900 etc... Should I be in the pickle that I think I am in (finding myself with a dead GPU in the near future, or at least finding myself with a GPU that is not stable enough to count on in a show), in the middle of the ocean and needing to pick up a new one up PDQ will any manufacturers board do provided it is of the correct chipset? Is there a specific brand of boards that HES use for the axons? I would like to stay as close to genuin as possible, but would also like to know that if I jumped off the ship and went to the local computer shop and bought a card with the correct chipset that it would work...

Anyway, any assistance would be appreciated

Mac.
Parents
  • Clyde,

I'm not going to get in a debate or argue the situation with you. I just wanted to provide you and others a bit more insight that might not be obvious.

To correct a few points here:

1. Believe it or not on a lot of those cards we had to buy above street price as we bought through specific channels within ATI to enable us for a higher level of support from them that was necessary.

2. I may not have been clear before. Some models we bought from ATI, some were from HIS and some from Asus. For example we shipped with an ATI X1900XTX, that doesn't mean the Asus or HIS versions of that card will be detected or work properly.

3. I understand the thinking that it is just a standard computer, but it really isn't. That is why I have gone into a lot of detail in this thread explaining a lot of things we normally don't disclose. You can't just open these up and slap in any replacement part you want and expect it to perform properly as you might with a desktop computer. We very carefully choose and test the exact components we use based on a lot of research and testing. In addition, there is a lot of code written around the specific models of video cards that are detected for example as we have a high level of integration deep into the cards.

I've explained the situation as clearly and openly as I can. I understand you may not be happy with the situation, but I've given as much explanation and insight as I can.
  • Clyde,

I'm not going to get in a debate or argue the situation with you. I just wanted to provide you and others a bit more insight that might not be obvious.

To correct a few points here:

1. Believe it or not on a lot of those cards we had to buy above street price as we bought through specific channels within ATI to enable us for a higher level of support from them that was necessary.

2. I may not have been clear before. Some models we bought from ATI, some were from HIS and some from Asus. For example we shipped with an ATI X1900XTX, that doesn't mean the Asus or HIS versions of that card will be detected or work properly.

3. I understand the thinking that it is just a standard computer, but it really isn't. That is why I have gone into a lot of detail in this thread explaining a lot of things we normally don't disclose. You can't just open these up and slap in any replacement part you want and expect it to perform properly as you might with a desktop computer. We very carefully choose and test the exact components we use based on a lot of research and testing. In addition, there is a lot of code written around the specific models of video cards that are detected for example as we have a high level of integration deep into the cards.

I've explained the situation as clearly and openly as I can. I understand you may not be happy with the situation, but I've given as much explanation and insight as I can.
Children
No Data