Future scaling suggestion

May I suggest an option for a future release of Catalyst ?

I, for one, would find it unbelievably handy to be able to specify something like a "global scale" as a user preference. Let me clarify what I mean and why I would need such a feature. When working with content that is, say, 720x576, and is being displayed at, or very near "native resolution" or full screen, I find that the majority of the scaling & translation range (X & Y positioning) is unusable, and often results in having live scaling & translation cues being so steppy as to also be unusable.

For example, if I wanted to scale a piece of content from "0%" (just small enough to not be seen) to full screen, the 16-bit DMX values are 32911 > 36345, which is an incredibly small slice of the DMX spectrum...and if I wanted to perform this scale change over, say, 10 seconds, the transition is incredibly steppy...whereas, if the range was from 0 > 36345, that would be a *much* greater step resolution and, I surmise, would allow for a much smoother transition from imperceptably small to full screen.

Does that make any kind of sense ?

Thanks.
Parents
  • I'm on a GrandMA...it doesn't seem to be exhibiting any kind of other DMX refresh rate problems...you may be imagining a more extreme problem than I am having....it's just that a cue written with parameter-based scaling (i.e. the scale channel goes from, say, 32768 to 33000 over 10 seconds) is not as smooth as the same visal result when rendered as a 30 fps quicktime movie.

I understand that the mspeed channel is nothing like mspeed on a light...however it is the same in that it removes the timing from the console and puts it on the server and that = a pain in the ass...unless I completely misunderstand what the mspeed channel does.
  • I'm on a GrandMA...it doesn't seem to be exhibiting any kind of other DMX refresh rate problems...you may be imagining a more extreme problem than I am having....it's just that a cue written with parameter-based scaling (i.e. the scale channel goes from, say, 32768 to 33000 over 10 seconds) is not as smooth as the same visal result when rendered as a 30 fps quicktime movie.

I understand that the mspeed channel is nothing like mspeed on a light...however it is the same in that it removes the timing from the console and puts it on the server and that = a pain in the ass...unless I completely misunderstand what the mspeed channel does.
Children
No Data