MacPro Hardware for HD?

I know HES has not officially checked of on the MacPros, but it seems from reading the forums that many of you are using them.
I will be using Catalyst to serve our new DPI Lightning 40HD, and I want to get the best hardware that is available now. Hopefully the hardware will have some future as well.
So MacPro users, is there a difference between 2.0, 2.66 and 3 GHz processors in this application?
What video card are you using?
What Hard Drive configuration are you using?
How much RAM is enough? How much is just wasting money?
Thank you for your help.
Looking forward to joining the Catalyst community.
-Michael
Parents
  • [quote=RedLightning]Richard,
    Thanks again for your input, I have learned a lot since diving into this project.

Currently I am running with 3gig RAM and it seems more than fine.
    FB-DDR2 dimms are crazy expensive...

-s

I am planning on switching from Wintel to MacPro shortly. My application needs (not joking) 4GB, and I can use more when Leopard is released. Apple FB RAM is ludicrously expensive so I was thinking of getting Samsung FB and Seagate SATAII HDD to keep the cost down so I can afford the 30" screen.

Are you actually mixing Apple and non-Apple RAM as you planned to? Any problems with doing this? Does the machine run louder as a result?

Any reason non-Apple HDDs should be a problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Neil
  • [quote=RedLightning]Richard,
    Thanks again for your input, I have learned a lot since diving into this project.

Currently I am running with 3gig RAM and it seems more than fine.
    FB-DDR2 dimms are crazy expensive...

-s

I am planning on switching from Wintel to MacPro shortly. My application needs (not joking) 4GB, and I can use more when Leopard is released. Apple FB RAM is ludicrously expensive so I was thinking of getting Samsung FB and Seagate SATAII HDD to keep the cost down so I can afford the 30" screen.

Are you actually mixing Apple and non-Apple RAM as you planned to? Any problems with doing this? Does the machine run louder as a result?

Any reason non-Apple HDDs should be a problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Neil
Children
No Data