Howto for this job?

I'm fairly new to Catalyst so I want to know what your opinions are for this job and how you would approach running it?

The stage backdrop will be a Med/High res SoftLED drape, this is one output. There will also be varoius Barco led elements at different positions built into the set. Graphics have been prepared as one group of media files for the SoftLED and another three groups for the three outputs for the LED modules.

Essentially, the three LED modules will for this job act as a seamless blend (the way the graphics have been prepared - 16:9 PAL DV).

For some shows, all screens need to play back media in sync from either a external TC source or manually triggered (can I trigger different outputs/interfaces cues at the same time?) And in other shows, media will just be shown in a random fashion determined by the operator.

What I want to know is will two seperate cat units (both using dual outputs) be able to have cues triggered by the one go button? I'm a broadcast guy and am only just starting to get into cat and my knowledge of DMX programming isn't the best right now.

Also, how would you pro's handle this job? I have gone the path of Cat/Media server because we have just bought it and it's about time to embrace it as Encore is overkill for this job and media managment is a pain. Anyone that has any tips for catalyst use SoftLED please chime in - i'm interested on your thoughts!

Any help you can provide would be great. I'm looking forward to working with catalyst. Future is bright indeed (even if we are late to embrace it!)

Thanks! :)
Parents
  • [quote=kaptivate_ag]
    ...our production gear is 16:9 as we have made the full transition to HD...
    ...there is no need for anything near HD quality...

The only advantage to a specific aspect ratio is in aligning the file for your output. It's worth while to match stock codecs though and since DV codecs are the choice for maximizing processing. However, to really increase functionality, dropping rez and using photojpeg at a low % is the best way for odd sized LEDs if you want to run a bunch of files off of a media server at the same time.

[quote=kaptivate_ag]
    ...Is it alright to mix aspect ratios in cat...

Mix any aspect ratio, mix any resolution, that's fine. Just remember that lower rez means more files can run with less problems. A rule of thumb is to keep content size the same or smaller that the rez of your output device. Although if you have an HD device then remember you don't have to use it at its highest rez.

[quote=kaptivate_ag]
    ...plasma content will be 16:9...

Since DV PAL is 720 x 480 for SD then you don't need to worry about a different aspect ratio. You've already got your16:9. And since you don't want to kill your media server in playback, keep it SD. Besides, most people love Plasma for the Crispness of it and when eye candy is running the rez doesn't matter.

A thought though, if you do have some content pieces you want to run as HD, you have to make your whole signal path HD and that consumes hardware resources.

[quote=kaptivate_ag]
    ...I was originally thinking of HogPC...
    ...also have access to a Hog2 and a Echelon...

Not an Echelon, that would end up slowing you down. The Hog2 is perfectly fine but there are advantages to using a new generation console when it comes to going back and editing show files.

[quote=kaptivate_ag]
    ...a GrandMA mini or lite...

The advantage of using a smaller version of a bigger console is that you can build your show on the full size desk and then run it on the mini version. This is what I was referring to when I said Hog3 PC.
  • [quote=kaptivate_ag]
    ...our production gear is 16:9 as we have made the full transition to HD...
    ...there is no need for anything near HD quality...

The only advantage to a specific aspect ratio is in aligning the file for your output. It's worth while to match stock codecs though and since DV codecs are the choice for maximizing processing. However, to really increase functionality, dropping rez and using photojpeg at a low % is the best way for odd sized LEDs if you want to run a bunch of files off of a media server at the same time.

[quote=kaptivate_ag]
    ...Is it alright to mix aspect ratios in cat...

Mix any aspect ratio, mix any resolution, that's fine. Just remember that lower rez means more files can run with less problems. A rule of thumb is to keep content size the same or smaller that the rez of your output device. Although if you have an HD device then remember you don't have to use it at its highest rez.

[quote=kaptivate_ag]
    ...plasma content will be 16:9...

Since DV PAL is 720 x 480 for SD then you don't need to worry about a different aspect ratio. You've already got your16:9. And since you don't want to kill your media server in playback, keep it SD. Besides, most people love Plasma for the Crispness of it and when eye candy is running the rez doesn't matter.

A thought though, if you do have some content pieces you want to run as HD, you have to make your whole signal path HD and that consumes hardware resources.

[quote=kaptivate_ag]
    ...I was originally thinking of HogPC...
    ...also have access to a Hog2 and a Echelon...

Not an Echelon, that would end up slowing you down. The Hog2 is perfectly fine but there are advantages to using a new generation console when it comes to going back and editing show files.

[quote=kaptivate_ag]
    ...a GrandMA mini or lite...

The advantage of using a smaller version of a bigger console is that you can build your show on the full size desk and then run it on the mini version. This is what I was referring to when I said Hog3 PC.
Children
No Data