Looking to get a Catalyst

I am somewhat a beginner to media servers, but have taken courses on the Green Hippo and soon the grandMA console. I am looking to possibly purchase a Catalyst to rent out and also run with some local bands.

I was curious if this unit for sale is a good deal?
www.gearsource.com/products.cfm/ns/72/cat/Video%20Equipment|Media%20Servers/pkid/12113.html

Thanks in advance!
Best,
B. Rod.
Parents
  • I would ask them what software level it is (Pro, DV or Xpress). Newer versions of the software will no longer support PowerPC towers, but I don't think it's going to be released for a while. Depending on the software level, it might be worth it to purchase for an upgrade in the near future. All the components and dongle (depending on the level) would make it worth wild. When it's not fast enough for you anymore, dump the G5 and get a new intel MacPro. Using the CIB, Dongle, Road Case, Video Input Card and extra drive from the G5, you will definitely see a performance increase. The one other thing to upgrade to would be getting a SATA Solid State Hard Drive.

-
  • I would ask them what software level it is (Pro, DV or Xpress). Newer versions of the software will no longer support PowerPC towers, but I don't think it's going to be released for a while. Depending on the software level, it might be worth it to purchase for an upgrade in the near future. All the components and dongle (depending on the level) would make it worth wild. When it's not fast enough for you anymore, dump the G5 and get a new intel MacPro. Using the CIB, Dongle, Road Case, Video Input Card and extra drive from the G5, you will definitely see a performance increase. The one other thing to upgrade to would be getting a SATA Solid State Hard Drive.

-
Children
No Data