Looking to get a Catalyst

I am somewhat a beginner to media servers, but have taken courses on the Green Hippo and soon the grandMA console. I am looking to possibly purchase a Catalyst to rent out and also run with some local bands.

I was curious if this unit for sale is a good deal?
www.gearsource.com/products.cfm/ns/72/cat/Video%20Equipment|Media%20Servers/pkid/12113.html

Thanks in advance!
Best,
B. Rod.
Parents
  • [quote=beardedbil;35870]I was looking at those enttec devices, they look neat... but quick questions... Lets say I want to pixel map moving flames onto these lights:
    pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/OmniSistem-LED-EColor-Moving-Yoke-DMX-LED-Panel?sku=801728

I would need a high end artnet device like the that can send and recieve DMX at the same time correct? rather then this one way enttec device? Would I need one of these from AL:
    www.artisticlicence.com/index.php?mode=products&sub=category&action=&category_id=4&product_id=&project_id=&policies_id=&cart_id=&order_id=

I really appreciate all your help!
    Thanks.

Unless you need to go to 5-pin DMX somewhere, you don't need any type of ArtNet box.

You can go directly into the Mac for the Catalyst from the ArtNet port of a console (DP-8K....RHFB...GMA....whatever you like) with a crossover cable.

If you also need output from the Catalyst for pixelMAD, simply put a cat-5 switch in place and use regular "straight" cables.

Again....this is only if you don't need 5-pin to your fixtures, and can send them ArtNet "natively".

Hope this helps. :)
  • [quote=beardedbil;35870]I was looking at those enttec devices, they look neat... but quick questions... Lets say I want to pixel map moving flames onto these lights:
    pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/OmniSistem-LED-EColor-Moving-Yoke-DMX-LED-Panel?sku=801728

I would need a high end artnet device like the that can send and recieve DMX at the same time correct? rather then this one way enttec device? Would I need one of these from AL:
    www.artisticlicence.com/index.php?mode=products&sub=category&action=&category_id=4&product_id=&project_id=&policies_id=&cart_id=&order_id=

I really appreciate all your help!
    Thanks.

Unless you need to go to 5-pin DMX somewhere, you don't need any type of ArtNet box.

You can go directly into the Mac for the Catalyst from the ArtNet port of a console (DP-8K....RHFB...GMA....whatever you like) with a crossover cable.

If you also need output from the Catalyst for pixelMAD, simply put a cat-5 switch in place and use regular "straight" cables.

Again....this is only if you don't need 5-pin to your fixtures, and can send them ArtNet "natively".

Hope this helps. :)
Children
No Data