Net3 Multiple Consoles

I have been searching Google, this forum and Control Booth for an answer.  Here's my problem:

We run a Net3 system with an Ion console.  Occasionally we have a touring show come in with their own light board such as an Expression 3 or another DMX-only board.

I have a 2-port Gateway with male inputs.  It is set in the input mode.  When the DMX-only board is plugged into the DMX Gateway it has no control over the system even with the in-house Ion turned off.

What are some trouble shooting steps I'm missing?

Thanks.

Parents Reply Children
  • As well as answering Corey's questions above, the first troubleshooting step would be to take a look at the display on the front of the gateway. There will be one or two arrows alongside the numbers. If the arrows are static the gateway is receiving DMX, if they are flashing it is not receiving DMX.

From that point onwards we know which side of the gateway the problem lies :-)

• The Gateway is definitely in input mode, set to ACN.  I tried a 1-1 patch and it didn't seem to help, so I cleared it out.  The odd thing is I use the same Gateway in another building and it was plug-n-play.  The port I plugged the board into was solid, not flashing so I'm relatively certain it was getting DMX signal.

The dimmer racks look to be ACN controlled, I see a lot of Cat5 connections in the box next to the dimmer system.

Thanks for your assistance.

• Are the dimmer racks set to respond to sACN and/or ETCNet2?  ION by default will output both on the network, so if the racks are only set to respond to ETCNet, the gateway won't talk to them via sACN.

Using a copy of sACNView on a computer connected to the network might also help to see what the ACN traffic is doing.

-Todd

Related