Net3 Show Control Gateway DHCP

I have a persistent problem with Net3 SC Gateways getting an IP addresses from a DHCP server. I haven't had any problem with DMX Gateways,  IO Gateways, consoles or any other device connected to the same server.

The Net3 SC Gateway does get an IP when connected to an Eos family console with DHCP turned on, but not from another source.

Running the latest 1.0.5.9.0.2, but the same problem has existed in previous firmware versions.

Cheers

Dan

Parents Reply Children
  • Is it being powered by a Plug top transformer or via PoE.

I've have problems with the Show and I/O's when booting up via DHCP and PoE. Fine plugged into the back of an EOS, Fine when using plug-top transformer.

It seemed tobe drawing too much current during the network stack initialisation than the switchers could supply.

• HI Marcus,

Most of the time it is POE, but I've just run some further tests and on some occasions it does get an address when externally powered vs POE but on other occasions not. It feels like the network stack might be a little temperamental.

Cheers

Dan

• Hi Tom,

It looks like I've got a little bit further with working out what is going on with DHCP whilst looking at this other issue we're having.

If the DHCP server is on a different subnet to the gateway it is not being properly identified by the gateway. There is no problem with DMX gateways or any other network devices I have come across.

Example:

Gateway IP :10.5.12.1/22

DHCP Server: 10.5.4.21.

The DHCP server will serve addresses in the 10.5.11.X-12.X range to this vlan.

If I put the gateway on the management vlan (10.5.4.X) it gets an address straight away.

Cheers

Dan

• Have you tried setting up a DHCP relay (BOOTP relay agent)?

• We already do, otherwise no devices would get DHCP on that VLAN. The issue only happens with the IO/SC gateway, so there must be a faulty implementation in the firmware.

D

• I would imaging in the way it handles the broadcast flag. Or maybe your dhcp relay isn't stripping option 82.

A wireshark log would beable to tell for sure.....

• Thanks Marcus,

Looks good at our end. It would be great if this could be looked at as it does make configuration in our environment very time consuming.

Dan

• Dan,

Could you make me a couple of wireshark logs if you get a chance.

One of a pc connecting and obtaining an IP successfully

and one from a mirrored port on your switcher capturing the SC attempt?

You can email them to marcus [dot] birkin [at] etcconnect [dot] com

• Hello Marcus

To bring this alive again after a while, maybe it's the same issue but I'm not sure...

I have a Show Control Gateway which doesn't seem to take get past the 'Network Stack Starting' phase of boot up whilst there is an ethernet cable plugged in.

I originally started it up on a network with DHCP running and the SCG was powered with PoE; it got stuck on 'Network Stack Starting'. I then found this thread and tried starting it up with a PSU instead having removed the ethernet cable in the front. It started up pretty quickly and told me it had the IP address I would associate with the DHCP range on my network despite actually not being on the network. Plugged in the ethernet (not in a PoE socket), could see it in concert and it works as expected.

I then took the power out of the unit left it a few minutes and plugged it back in again and it got stuck on the 'Network Stack Starting' screen again - still on the PSU and not PoE.  Did the same with the ethernet cable removed and it booted up fine.

On the network I have a DHCP server (which I admit at this point before I get on site is a cheap router), an Ion, a Response 4 Port Gateway, a MacBook Pro running as a backup and a couple of PoE Switches. The 4 Port Gateway is new, delivered last week and hasn't caused me any problems at all.

Any thoughts you have would be really useful. Ultimately I only have the SCG for the next week or so for a show and if I need to power it up and then plug it in to the network it's not the end of world but I'm curious as to what might be going on.

Thanks
    Tom

• Hello Tom,

I think you come across two separate issues here:
    How the device is powered and how the DHCP server operates.

The SCG does have some issues when powered from some PoE adapters, your best best is to use a PSU.
    The DHCP server also will need to send responses via broadcast and not unicast. The best bet would be to use the DHCP server included in GCE or on the EOS console; or to set a static IP on the device (Static IP is generally a better idea I always think).

Unfortunately there is no ETA on an expected firmware upgrade for this particular product.

Regards,

Marcus
  • Thanks Marcus

As long as they're known that's ok, I'll carry on. Static IPs was on my list but was worried it might not boot. I'll drop you a private message about passwords for the Gateways.

Thanks
    Tom
  • Hi Tom,

The gateways don't have any password features.

GCE may ask for a password, this is "net3".

NET3 Concert does not ask for a password.

Regards,

Marcus

• Cool. Thank you. I was using GCE. Much prefer it for doing things like that.

Tom
  • Just as a note. GCE is no longer supported. For the SCG with its older Firmware, GCE still can configure it, but if SCG gets an update, it won‘t be configurable in GCE any longer - only in the Concert Software - like all other Gateways with current firmware. So I would recommend slowly getting more familiar with Concert.
Related