ETCNET 3 Console on ETCNET 1

My Obsession II is on it's last legs, and I need a reliable console to run a couple of shows before I upgrade the lighting system this summer. I can get a loaner. I can get a GIO 2K loaner, but my house system is ETCNET 1. Is there any piece of hardware our there that will convert an ETCNET 3 signal  from the GIO to ETCNET 1?

• What of your system is on Net 1 and would it be easier to just send DMX ?.

In general, Net 1 was not a signal sent to dimmers, it was pretty much just talk between devices, remote video boxes, etc... thus the question.  

SB

• There are no devices that take Net 3 and convert them directly to Net 1.

Without going into a long dicussion about what the differences are between the Net 1, Net2 and Net 3 protocols are, Net 1 was not addressable and merely mimicked the DMX ports on the back of the console. 

SInce Racks did not take Net 1 , there should be a node somewhere near your Racks in an equipment rack, to convert Net 1 to DMX, which then went to your racks and devices.

Net 1 through Net 3 coexist happily on the wire, but do not communicate with each other.  

You have a couple options.

If you get a loaner Gio console, Find the Net 1 node and replace it with a net 3 Gateway. The gateway can send out DMX to the devices and racks you need to control, and come in a variety of output port counts and  types to connect to your system.

Upside to this is learning the new console might be better suited during your next shows, you could also audtion a console to see if the channel counts and such are what you need.

Downside is If you have a number of Net 1 nodes in your building each would require upgrading to Net 3. There is some configuration time involved. Upgrading in steps can also add levels of complication when you don't have a lot of time to reconfigure and troubleshoot issues before your productions. It can be done with proper planning. 

It might make more sense to get an Obsession II loaner until you can completely upgrade in one step with time to comfortably configure and  troubleshoot any issues and learn the new console.

Depending on where you are getting the Gio loaner,  you might want to talk to them about getting the OBS II instead, If they don't have one available they might be able to get one from ETC to use until your Gio upgrade can take place.

You could also have your existing Obs II evaluated for repair costs to use as a back up or to sell outright when you upgrade.  

Related