Gateway Port config locking

I've been working on a few system installs that are starting to use DMX gateways to control architectural lighting fixtures that do not want to be typically edited by the users.

As some of these sites are schools, and I was "one of those students" I was wondering if it might be a good idea to perhaps be able to make GCE have a user access level defined, and make a specific gateway, or even better certain specific ports on that gateway, not visible or not editable by the user logged into GCE.

I don't believe this feature is currently available, but it would be a nice possible addition to the software.

Thanks.

Parents
  • We discuss security on all products that connect to our network quite regularly. Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as user levels within GCE, or more appropriately current products like Net3 Concert. This would actually require the user levels and protection in each end device. If it is done within the software, anyone could easily download a new installer and have access to everything. It is something we hope to consider in the future, but as you might expect it's not a trivial task. I am quite glad to see some request for it, as this helps validate the need so we can prioritize to potential work.

• bpalmer said:

We discuss security on all products that connect to our network quite regularly. Unfortunately, it isn't as easy as user levels within GCE, or more appropriately current products like Net3 Concert. This would actually require the user levels and protection in each end device. If it is done within the software, anyone could easily download a new installer and have access to everything. It is something we hope to consider in the future, but as you might expect it's not a trivial task. I am quite glad to see some request for it, as this helps validate the need so we can prioritize to potential work.

Well, would it be possible to possibly make such a device "invisible" or "read only" as a profile choice via the config software?  Once that config is uploaded to the device it disappears or becomes non-editable in the software.  Typically I have these devices in an equipment rack, or a dedicated enclosure near the fixtures being controlled.  If it able to be invisible to the config software, or perhaps could have it's visibility or read only status turned on or off at the front panel, similar to resetting the IP or changing from Net2 to Net3  This would at least make it a bit more challenging to those who may want to change the system through either ignorance or maliciousness.    The more I write this, the read only status as a mode that can be engaged via config software, but can only be disengaged at the device itself does appeal to me more.

While a port by port option for read only status would be nice, read only as a whole device option would meet my immediate concerns.

[edited by: Holztech at 6:41 PM (GMT -6) on Fri, Feb 28 2014]
  • As much as we would all like our network "works of art" to be locked down like fort knox.  I'm not convinced that in the heat of troubleshooting or system rescue that this level of security would be 1) beneficial or 2) helpful.  I know plenty of end users that have access to all of the same codes to root access as the ETC service techs.  I guess I see it this way, if someone wants to disrupt the system, how much work do you want to have to put into rescuing the system?  Its like computers, you can protect the system all you want until someone gets their hands on the box.  At which point you can reformat the drive and all the blessed security is null.

You can only idiot proof something until they make a better idiot.

• As much as we would all like our network "works of art" to be locked down like fort knox.  I'm not convinced that in the heat of troubleshooting or system rescue that this level of security would be 1) beneficial or 2) helpful.  I know plenty of end users that have access to all of the same codes to root access as the ETC service techs.  I guess I see it this way, if someone wants to disrupt the system, how much work do you want to have to put into rescuing the system?  Its like computers, you can protect the system all you want until someone gets their hands on the box.  At which point you can reformat the drive and all the blessed security is null.

You can only idiot proof something until they make a better idiot.

Children
  • Glenn

I completely agree on if someone wants to disrupt a system they will.  I see this less as a problem in this instance.  I see security as not to make something tamper proof, but to make it harder for someone to accidentally change a working config without intentionally doing so.  The pass-code doesn't have to be complex.  In fact it could be the same pass-code as it is to configure network settings.

Related