Portable Net3 Set Up - Need Help!

Forgive me If this comes off frustrated, I typed this once already and accidentally deleted it. 

I want to create a portable set up for things outside of out performances spaces. We host a number of galas, events, keynotes, etc and I want to get more out of our LED fixtures and also up the quality of event we host. We currently run a brand new Ion with S4 series 2s, D40 lustrs, and Selador Paletta 11s. Here is the set up I was thinking of but I wanted to get feed back from you all. 

I want to run a Mac laptop with EosNomad and the dongle so it'll outpet Net3. I want to connect that laptop to a four port gateway, two ports of DMX and two RJ45 connections. The thought being that I can have 2 Us for the lighting (accent, stage spots, stage wash, etc) and two ethernet ports so that I can connect top laptops running some form of media server to 3D map projections in different locations of the room. I was looking at MadMapper since we are Mac based and that appears to be good for Macs (I could be way off) but I am open to any suggestions both for top of the line VMS and for budget effective. The key is that I need it to listen to sACN so that I can trigger it with Nomad. 

Where I am new to show control is that I believe, if im correct, that I don't need to do any sort of time coding for the VMS'? Since their parameters take up DMX addresses, I can just trigger them via the cue list in Nomad, yea? 

My fear is that I am overlooking a lot and that it can't really be that simple of a set up as a lap top to a 4-port Net3 gateway and then cable runs out to my lights and media servers.... can it? I'm overlooking power to everything because that would not be any issue in our spaces and we have an awesome house electrician. 

THANKS!!!

Parents
  • Hello Travis,

Your on the right lines, except you will need network switcher (even a small 5 port one will do).

The NET3 4 Port Gateway, only has 1 Ethernet connection (on the front panel).

The back can be populated with different types of DMX sled, each with a different connector (I.e. XLR, RJ45). 

The RJ45 sled is just a different connector for DMX which installers may prefer over XLR.

The Gateway will also need power, I would recommend using a wall wart style PSU in this setup.

I have no experience with MadMapper, but a quick google search seems to suggest it only supports the Ethernet protocol ArtNet. Not to worry as ETCNomad can output sACN/Net3 and ArtNet (the latter may need to be enabled in the settings before use).

To sum an idea for your setup:

Ethernet:

[ETCNomad Computer]

|

|

[MadMaper Computer] ----------- [Ethernet Switcher]----------[ETC Gateway]

DMX:

[ETC Gateway]---------[DMX Devices]

• Thanks so much for your reply, just to make sure I'm getting it all:
    I can go about it two ways. I can throw a switch in line after Nomad that runs out to the media servers and then also out to the Net3 Gateway which in turn runs to all my fixtures.

OR

I use the Net3 Gateway in line after Nomad and go DMX to my lights and use an RJ45 port or two to go DMX over Ethernet to my media servers. In which case I need a media server with adressable settings. I looked around and I think I found that Dataton and Arkaos are both DMX adressable media servers. But again it's still going to need to be able to speak either sACN or ArtNet, right?
  • Hello Travis,

The RJ45 ports on a DMX sled are not ethernet ports. They are DMX utilizing RJ45 connectors.

DMX on an XLR connector can rewired to almost any connector, including RJ45.

Ethetnet on RJ45 is not the same as DMX on RJ45.

The function of the gateway is to convert ethernet sACN (RJ45 on the front) to DMX (via sled connector on the back).

Regards,

Marcus

• That makes total sense. So the only real option is option 2 then in my previous post correct?

Thanks again for all the help and info, it is much appreciated
  • Hello Travis,

Use Option 1, option 2 will not function

Regards,

Marcus

• Got it thanks again, I have it mapped out in my head and on paper via option one but my curiosity wants to know why option one will work and option 2 won't? Is it because option one provides an independent and more direct connection for ArtNet/Net3 to talk from Nomad to the media server? Or just a more reliable way to route the protocol instead of just using the Gateway? I want to understand the do's and the dont's so I can get a full grasp on what makes this go.
  • Got it thanks again, I have it mapped out in my head and on paper via option one but my curiosity wants to know why option one will work and option 2 won't? Is it because option one provides an independent and more direct connection for ArtNet/Net3 to talk from Nomad to the media server? Or just a more reliable way to route the protocol instead of just using the Gateway? I want to understand the do's and the dont's so I can get a full grasp on what makes this go.
Children
Related