Best place to start re-educating self? Major system upgrade, need a workflow

Hi y'all, I don't visit Networking often, and only some of this is network-related, so please be gentle to the N00b:

I have a fantastic problem: we're in the midst of a serious system upgrade from Net2-->Net3, Legacy Unison-->Paradigm, third-party serial interface-->ETC touchscreens, and yet more. Giant pile of new gear, much education of self to continue. Obviously we'll be getting some training from the installer, but I'mma need to wrap my head around all of it. 

In no particular order: 
DImming & Switching> Sensor CEM3

Architectural Systems> Echo relay panels, Paradigm touchscreen stations, Paradigm ACP & station power modules, Paradigm CCS, Concert, Conductor

Networking > Bunch o' gateways of various sizes

Can anyone suggest a reasonable thematic path for me to chart as I start digging deeply into all this? Start with dimming first, then networking, then architectural? Suggestions helpful. Because the thing is, as soon as the new console shows up, I'm probably going to lose interest in the nitty gritty, & I need a good plan if I'm going to stay strong. 

Parents
  • An easy start might be some videos from 2013 CUE event: "Evolution of System Design" talks a lot about dimming, relays and networked control.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLl-Ao0hIFwH9E0AOKMp6IqPm3QGgOlW1e

I think the best message is that you probably won't need to deal with the system parts much. A new system, well configured should be pretty worry free. Just because it can do a whole bunch of things, doesn't mean you need to know how to make it do them all. Instead concentrate on what you think you will want to do and how that happens.

I'll never forget training a bunch of hands at a big hall that had an Express upgrading to an Ion. They were really worried about learning how to patch things quickly and easily. They had been forcing 300 dimmers into 96 channels and it was most of their console time. After a few minutes it sank in that they might never have to re-patch again. [:)]

You might like some of the other ETC channel videos on networking, Paradigm and Architectural Controls.

Reply Children
No Data
Related