Net3 ACN Gateways and RDM

I have a request to the team that makes the code for the net3 gateways.

Can we have RDM Default to disabled on the dmx ports when configured as outputs?

I've had 3 or 4 projects that I have been getting unusual "flashing" from fixtures when RDM Discover is turned on at the gateway.

I know the gateway is in a constant discovery state, so it can pass that info back to the console over the network, but it is definitely causing issues on jobsites when I quickly configure the gateway, and forget that I need to disable RDM before I leave the output port ready to go.

specific details on the current project:

Mosaic MTPC putting out sACN to a net3 4port Response gateway.

DMX from that is run to a CityTheatrical ShowNEO transmitter, and then multiple recievers pass that on to 71 Source4 Series2 Lustr fixtures. 

RDM is disabled on the ShowNEO devices, but I probably left it enabled on the gateway.

Once I disable that feature tomorrow, I'll know if it was the issue.  Otherwise, I need to talk with CityTheatrical tomorrow.

Thanks.

Parents
  • Hello Dennis,

RDM should only cause issue with devices that don't correctly implement E1.11 (DMX).
    Devices that have issues, ignore the start code and assume that all data is dimmer data (start code 0).

If you constantly have issues with RDM in new equipment, it would be worth contacting that manufacturer with regards their E1.11 compatibility (or lack there of!).

I am surprised you are having issues with RDM and City Theatrical equipment - they have had traditionally an excellent implementation.

Regards,

Marcus
  • Hello Dennis,

RDM should only cause issue with devices that don't correctly implement E1.11 (DMX).
    Devices that have issues, ignore the start code and assume that all data is dimmer data (start code 0).

If you constantly have issues with RDM in new equipment, it would be worth contacting that manufacturer with regards their E1.11 compatibility (or lack there of!).

I am surprised you are having issues with RDM and City Theatrical equipment - they have had traditionally an excellent implementation.

Regards,

Marcus
Children
  • Well, this particular situation is still developing, but it doesn't appear to be an RDM issue, but a wireless issue. Still working through it with CityTheatrical. Might be faulty transmitters, or too much data in the wi-fi spectrum funking up the signal. Also need to evaluate if the firmware in the Series2 Lustrs might be the problem as well (fixtures are currently at 1.7.0, and 1.8.0 is available.)

That being said, I have had sites with Non-RDM equipment behaving oddly (Martin Atomic Strobes flashing spontaneously when discovery is present, CK Fixtures flashing to white in rhythm with the discovery process.) When RDM was turned off, these problems disappeared.

I've also had a site that had RDM capable houselight LED fixtures (it's how I addressed them all,) that would periodically during a house out setting, flash one or more fixtures. This was very intermittent, and of course would not show up when I was present. When we disabled RDM discovery it went away. I think the discovery process is being handled correctly, and sometimes a fixture will "announce" it's presence by flashing briefly.

Because of that, and because I primarily use RDM to configure and address my fixtures and other devices (thank you Pathway for making 0-10V converters that are RDM configurable,) , and not to monitor their status, I would prefer that the gateways force you to opt in to RDM functionality, rather than force you to opt out when you discover that some of your devices don't play friendly with RDM.

Thanks for your reply.
Related