Mean time between failure on 4-port nodes

Event space, GIO and ION, (2) 4-port nodes.  After a conversation with an incoming show's gaffer, I've started to wonder if we need backup nodes.  He mentioned that, for sit–downs, he duplicates all his nodes and puts A/B switches in front of each pair.

How real is this concern?  We've backed up almost everything else, but we don't have on-line backup nodes, or even offline ones.  Anyone have thoughts on how imminent the danger might be?

Thanks folks!

Parents
  • You are always going to have some point that can't be backed up fully no matter how much kit you put in.

Even with 2 nodes at each point all you are doing is moving the single failure point to the A/B switcher so if this breaks it doesn't matter that you have 2 Gateways nether of them are going to be able to output. Remember if you have this installed you will probably need to test both the main and backup gateway plus the AB switcher every day because you are not going to know if the back up is working until you flick the switch so this will add time to your setup depending on where the gateways are located.

Also if your gateways are distributed around your venue you are going to have to get to them to switch them over before you are back up and running so it might be easier and a lot cheaper to have a spare Gateway on the shelf ready to be swapped out when you have a problem. This probably only works if your 2 gateways have the same universe outputs otherwise you are going to need to configure it should you need to swap it out.

The gateways themselves are reliable devices and if they are in a fixed position without getting bashed about then I wouldn't worry to much. On the other hand I would never say they will never break down so a failure could happen.

I would say there is no right or wrong answer to this just what you would prefer to have in your system.

Tom

• I agree with Tom, have a spare node to hand but save your money with duplicates and A/B switches.

In 9 years I've only had 1 node fail and that was because of a cheap AC adapter the hire company had put on the show. I always push for a POE switch as this removes another layer of faults.
Reply Children
Related