Net 3 ACN Gateway linking multiple units

Hello,

I will be receiving 8 Chauvet Rouge 1 Spots and 8 chauvet rouge 1 washes. I have 9 Net3 ACN Gateways, and will be getting 10 more gateways. I want to mount all the lights on our electric pipes. Problem is each electric pipe only has 2 network ports per pipe. We have a total of 4 lighting pipes. Which means 16 lights total divided by 4 pipes we have = 4 lights per pipe. What can I do to control each moving head with their only being 2 network ports/ gateways per pipe? Can i daisy chain more gateways together? Or what if i use 2 gateways per pipe, and use the dmx cable to daisy chain each fixture together from one gateway? What can work

• Hello,

Your best bet will be to dasiy chain the DMX. Ethernet can not be dasiy chained, and must use a switch or hub to connect multiple devices to one cable. DMX, however, can be dasiy chained with upto 32 devices.

Regards,

Marcus

• I agree that daisy-chaining fixtures is you easiest solution. If you insist on more gateways then you need to add a network switch (router, hub) to provide more ports. Switches are generally inexpensive and easily available networking gear.
  • The usual arrangement is to run a pair of Ethernet cables to the end of each truss/pipe, place a Gateway on the end of the pipe and daisychain DMX/RDM along the pipe.

In most cases the second Ethernet is primarily intended as a spare in case the primary cable is damaged - it's quick and easy to swap to the other line for this show, and fix the broken cable later.

In some cases you'll need the second one because a particular show needs more Universes than your Gateway has outputs, so need another Gateway, or to directly connect a fixture that needs networking to properly use.
    (eg a moving-head video projectors with a built-in media server like Robe DigitalSpot, HES DL series etc)
  • Thanks to every one for their replies. Using one gateway and daisy chaining more than one moving head together makes sense.
Related