Streaming ACN Network Level Viewer

As a tool to assist technicians working in networked systems using Streaming ACN, I have been working on a program to allow levels on a Streaming ACN network to be viewed, and levels to be controlled.

Streaming ACN is the protocol used to transport levels in a Net3 system, similar to EDMX in a Net2 system.

This tool is not affiliated with ETC, but may be helpful in diagnosing problems in ETC systems. It will monitor the levels output to Streaming ACN on Net3 network capable products including Congo, Eos, Ion, and Paradigm.

You can see more details and download the tool from :

http://sacnview.sourceforge.net

Parents
  • It looks like a nice tool, but unfortunatelly it doesn't work for me (VAIO VPCEC3C5E Win7Pro 64B SP1) as expected. I can see and set values on channels but can't monitor already set by light console/desk. I think there is no way to do it excepf for getting data from console (desk).

I am trying to write a tool to controll moving heads positions automaticly via camera (face/person recognization). All opencv stuff is almost ready and now I started to learn network programming and all this specs for ACN and others. I am writting in Python, but I know many others. 

I am looking for ideas and algorithms needed to do such communication so anybody who has the time and good will is welcome to help me :D

[edited by: akrynski at 7:02 AM (GMT -6) on Fri, Jul 26 2013]
  • Sorry to hear it's not working for you. If you are able to transmit but not recieve sACN I would suspect a firewall problem. Check that your firewall is allowing incoming traffic to sACNView (in the windows firewall settings), and allowed for all network types, and also check you have the correct network adapter selected under settings in sACNView if you have more than one network card.

In terms of writing your own software, sACN is a streaming protocol (similar to DMX), so is pretty easy to transmit. You can download the protocol specification for free from PLASA:

http://tsp.plasa.org/tsp/documents/published_docs.php

See E1.31-2009.

It sounds like an interesting project - for a typical moving light there are pan and tilt channels, so you will need to take the output from OpenCV and perform some geometry to convert to pan and tilt values which you can output over Streaming ACN.

Good luck!

• It is not firewall problem, I checked it of course. But your program works and it is a good point to start study on it, how did you make it ;)   

Thanks for a link, I know this page and I am studying appropriate materials since a few days. I hope for your kindness in case of problems :D

Best regards

Reply Children
No Data
Related