Wireless Networking

Hey everyone,

I am currently in an attempt to understand ETC's networking a little better and I am going to try to wirelessly network our in-house net3 network with dimmers and an Ion with my laptop running the EOS client. It would save us a ton or running when we are doing focus or hang and trying to get the rig up and running. My question is I have heard that you have to set the laptop's IP to a static one but what about the router? Does that need to be reconfigured to read both the signals from the console and be able to send out or am I all good as along as the console is set up correctly. I was able to hardwire the laptop a few weeks ago and had no problems other than the network dropping on me which could be the laptop resetting its IP address??  Any thoughts on either problem?

Best,

Patrick Thompson

• Howdy Patrick,

I assume you have the EOS/Ion Client Dongle stuck in your laptop?

Okay - you need to change the IP of your laptop to one that will be able to work well with your Ion Console.

You can theoretically have any ranges of IP addresses you want, but they need to be able to communicate with

another based on Subnetmasks, etc. ETC Recommends certain IP Addresses:  

I assume your Ion has an IP of 10.101.100.101 (Subnet: 255.255.0.0; Gateway: 10.101.100.101) 

Your WLAN Accesspoint / Router should have an IP of 10.101.1.1 (Subnet: 255.255.0.0; Gateway: 10.101.100.101)

Your Laptop should have an IP of 10.101.1.101 (Subnet: 255.255.0.0; Gateway: 10.101.100.101).

After these IPs are set up, then you shouldn't have any problems connecting with your laptop as a client to the Ion.

The Ion will need to be online and your laptop connects to the network as client and will then act like a remote

control, controlling the rig THRU your Ion; your laptop can't control the Rig on its own.

Related