RDMNet (GDTF & PSN)

Hi,

after another six months I wanted to find out more about the current state of affairs in RDMNet.

Is it likely that RDMNet will soon be implemented in the main ETC products (gateways, Eos family)? An early implementation would be really desirable.

I would also be interested in what the status looks like in the case of GDTF and whether there are plans to implement PSN.

Such protocols are becoming more and more important in our industry than they already are and unfortunately, in my eyes, ETC is now a bit behind in these points, as one concentrates more on other competencies and thus neglects the important basis of the system a little.

Of course you can help yourself by integrating third-party solutions in the system to cope with tasks, but that is actually not the "sense and purpose of the exercise" ...

Please do not get me wrong, I see what has been achieved in all this time and I am very grateful for it, but, in my opinion, important topics should not be too neglected.

Parents Reply Children
  • Hi Linus,

Lowell is recovering from a well-earned break so I wanted to reply quick on this topic.

I think there's a couple of separate things here so I will break them out.

RDMnet

We have published code for RDMNet on our Gitlab page and are successfully interacting with other manufacturers equipment. We are working on implementing RDMnet into our Concert and Gateway softwares, and are hopeful that we will be releasing those by the end of this year.

RDMnet Tunnelling
    Although RDMnet *allows for* tunneling between one physical RDM port and other physical RDM ports via the network, it is technically pretty complex to do. It remains on our wishlist for now, I think we will potentially get to it once we start seeing more uptake of RDMnet, but no definite timeline currently.

Hope that helps,

Tom

Related