Net3 and VLAN's

Our current setup:

Lighting Network:

EOS console, 4 Sensor CEM+ racks, 1 4-port DMX gateway, 1 Show Control Gateway, Net3 jacks around the theater, 2 10/100 switches for interconnections.

Audio Network 1:

Audio console (Yamaha M7CL), Audio Playback/Show Control PC (Stage Research SFX 6.0), 4 Audio Distribution Processors (DBX ZonePro), Administration PC (running manufacturer's software for devices), NAS drive for file backup/print server,  3 10/100 switches for interconnections

Audio Network 2:

Routes CobraNet from audio console to processor/amplifier racks

The Questions:

1 - Could these be combined into 1 network with VLAN's for segmentation? I am hoping to be able to make single points (i.e single PC's) of control and monitoring of all these ethernet devices. We would upgrade switches and backbone connections to gigabit ethernet or fiber to handle increased bandwidth.

2 - Should these be combined into 1 network? It works now but I am thinking combining would allow greater efficiency in management and monitoring.

Any thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated..

Joel Howden

Theater Technician

Fullerton College

Parents
  • As always with networking questions, the answer is "Yes you can, but...."

Combining systems onto VLANS comes with risks. As someone who has worked on several systems involving VLAN segregation of lighting data from other system data, I can tell you we usually have to spend considerable time proving what is at fault - the network or our equipment - when things don't work. VLANs add a layer of complexity that is often unwanted in entertainment systems.

The other issues would certainly be bandwidth (which can be addressed as you mentioned by switching critical links to gigabit/fibre), but the other important consideration for entertainment systems is latency. This is what makes entertainment systems a bit unique - if you're using a network for internet access, it doesn't matter if the odd request gets lost or delivered late - but that is very important when you're talking about a live sound feed or lighting fade. Larger, more complex network gear may, unless you take a lot of care in configuration, actually increase the latency of your network.

So, if it was down to me, I would say no - keep it simple, multiple networks are easier to troubleshoot (especially by folks with a non networking background), and it's clearer to the untrained eye what's going on. The single point of monitioring is a good question, the way we've addressed that in the past is just to use a multi-homed machine - install 2/3 network cards and you maintain the separation of the networks whilst being able to 'see' everything from a single point.

Hope that helps,

Tom

• As always with networking questions, the answer is "Yes you can, but...."

Combining systems onto VLANS comes with risks. As someone who has worked on several systems involving VLAN segregation of lighting data from other system data, I can tell you we usually have to spend considerable time proving what is at fault - the network or our equipment - when things don't work. VLANs add a layer of complexity that is often unwanted in entertainment systems.

The other issues would certainly be bandwidth (which can be addressed as you mentioned by switching critical links to gigabit/fibre), but the other important consideration for entertainment systems is latency. This is what makes entertainment systems a bit unique - if you're using a network for internet access, it doesn't matter if the odd request gets lost or delivered late - but that is very important when you're talking about a live sound feed or lighting fade. Larger, more complex network gear may, unless you take a lot of care in configuration, actually increase the latency of your network.

So, if it was down to me, I would say no - keep it simple, multiple networks are easier to troubleshoot (especially by folks with a non networking background), and it's clearer to the untrained eye what's going on. The single point of monitioring is a good question, the way we've addressed that in the past is just to use a multi-homed machine - install 2/3 network cards and you maintain the separation of the networks whilst being able to 'see' everything from a single point.

Hope that helps,

Tom

Children
No Data
Related