Net3 and VLAN's

Our current setup:

Lighting Network:

EOS console, 4 Sensor CEM+ racks, 1 4-port DMX gateway, 1 Show Control Gateway, Net3 jacks around the theater, 2 10/100 switches for interconnections.

Audio Network 1:

Audio console (Yamaha M7CL), Audio Playback/Show Control PC (Stage Research SFX 6.0), 4 Audio Distribution Processors (DBX ZonePro), Administration PC (running manufacturer's software for devices), NAS drive for file backup/print server,  3 10/100 switches for interconnections

Audio Network 2:

Routes CobraNet from audio console to processor/amplifier racks

The Questions:

1 - Could these be combined into 1 network with VLAN's for segmentation? I am hoping to be able to make single points (i.e single PC's) of control and monitoring of all these ethernet devices. We would upgrade switches and backbone connections to gigabit ethernet or fiber to handle increased bandwidth.

2 - Should these be combined into 1 network? It works now but I am thinking combining would allow greater efficiency in management and monitoring.

Any thoughts/opinions are greatly appreciated..

Joel Howden

Theater Technician

Fullerton College

Parents
  • You've gotten really good responses, but let me add my $.02.

1.)  You will connect my lighting network to the sound network over my dead body!  I have a pair of wire cutters and I know how to use them.

2.)  I have in troubleshooting and fixing lighting network problems had to reset the network switch.  If troubleshooting one part of the network  causes you to lose the rest of the network, a sound or lighting problem that the production team is working around has just become an unscheduled break for everyone possibly without worklights or houselights.

3.)  K  I  S  S

Take care,

John

• I have a slightly different VLAN questions, and while I hate to revive an older post, the data so far seems pertinent.  I work in a university setting, so getting permission to establish a wireless network is difficult at best.  When/if we get permission, we will at most get allocated one channel.  I need to establish wireless control for both audio and lighting, however the wireless will be non mission critical. 

What I am considering is this, a wireless network with multiple ssid's one for audio and one for lighting, each with their own vlan tag that could then be split at a smart switch, with one connection to the audio network and one to the lighting network.  I have a reasonable amount of network experience, but none with vlans...  I think, this method could/would prevent too much traffic on the mission critical portions of the network, with the only possibility being the wireless may have some latency issues

Thoughts?  Given the above advice is the foolish?

Thanks

• Well, here is what comes off the top of my head.

It will probably work, with some caveats.

• You will most certainly have some latency issues.  Probably more noticeable with sound.
    • The VLAN problem is largely one of protocol, not amount of traffic.  I wouldn't be concerned about the wireless putting too much traffic on the mission critical portions of the network, wire will always win on that one.
    • Where VLANs will come to haunt you is in the management.  VLANs are largely transparent to the individual networks, provided that configure the trunking and management correctly.  You will need at minimum 3 VLANs (lx, sound, and management).  The trick here is to create a VLAN just for switch configuration, and to never let either the sound network or the lx network see any of the management traffic.  The other trick is getting the trunking configuration correct.  As you will be passing multiple VLANs from one device, the WAP down to another, the switch.  You will then establish port level VLANs for everything else.  So when considering a switch, you'll need one that allows you to actually configure VLANs on the port level, and configure their trunking operation.  A simple "smart switch" that just allows simple assignment of a VLAN to a port, or making a trunk port will probably not do. What does this mean?  A true Layer 2 managed switch - $$$.  You may be able to get by with one of those business class value smart switches, but I doubt they would be very reliable in function.

In the end its hard to judge if this is foolish or not.  If you need the functionality, and these are the constraints you must live in, then there are few options.  I can say this will probably cost more money than you originally thinking of spending.  As I would put around $500 minimum into an enterprise class managed switch (something that is not advertised as web managed - I'm thinking an HP ProCurve 2610).

Beyond this you will also have the classic multicast and IGMP problems to deal with when configuring a lighting network.  I'm sure there is also some specific compatibility issues to deal with in sound as well.  Plus once you link the two networks with this switch, realize that it has the high possibility of introducing problems into both networks independently.  Adding this one device means both systems are no longer vanilla networks.

One other thought - what kind of wireless control of the lighting do you need?  Would an RFR do the job?  Then you are back to one wireless network, and a lot less headaches.

• I have run across this wireless situation before.  If there is fear of stepping on critical wireless communications then it is best to get permission.  I.E.  Live Broadcast.  With that being said.  There are many tools including tools provided on most wireless routers that can allow you to be stealth about adding wireless, and being secure.  With that said, if your IT department is concerned with you adding wireless networking devices to an isolated network, there are people at ETC that are more than willing to provide you with the information needed to calm your IT departments mind.  Feel free to give us a call.  800.688.4116.

• I have run across this wireless situation before.  If there is fear of stepping on critical wireless communications then it is best to get permission.  I.E.  Live Broadcast.  With that being said.  There are many tools including tools provided on most wireless routers that can allow you to be stealth about adding wireless, and being secure.  With that said, if your IT department is concerned with you adding wireless networking devices to an isolated network, there are people at ETC that are more than willing to provide you with the information needed to calm your IT departments mind.  Feel free to give us a call.  800.688.4116.

Children
No Data
Related