Gateway Input Merge w/Priority per DMX channel

Is it possible to setup a pair of 4port gateways to merge 5 independent streams of DMX into one sACN/Net3 universe with a priority setup per range of channels on each of the inputs?

This is for a hotel Ballroom scenario where one large ballroom can be sub-divided into several smaller rooms, some of which will have a DMX input, some who won't.

The example desired is as follows-

Input 1 is located in Ballroom 1 and Ballroom 1 contains dimmers 1-24.

Input 2 is located in Ballroom 2, which contains  dimmers 25-48

Input 3 is located in Ballroom 3, and contains dimmers 49-72

Input 4 is located in ballroom 4 and contains dimmers 73-96.

Input 5 is located in a control booth above the ballroom and would control dimmers 1-96.

Now, Can the priorities be setup like this-

Input 1-  DMX 1-24 Priority 100, 25-96 Priority 90

Input 2- DMX 1-24 Priority 90, 25-48 Priority 100, 49-96 Priority 90

Input 3- DMX 1-48 Priority 90, 49-72 Priority 100, 73-96 Priority 90

Input 4- DMX 1-72 Priority 90, 73-96 priority 100

Input 5- DMX 1-96 Priority 110

This would allow the user to have control of just the respective dimmers in each ballroom if multiple consoles are plugged in, and have control over all of it if the console was plugged into either input 5 or if there were no other consoles plugged in if I remember priority settings right.

If I'm wrong, please let me know where I fouled up the idea and how to do it right.

Thanks.

Dennis Witte

Parents
  • Short answer : Yes!

Long answer:

Yes

Gateways need to be in Net3 mode, this won't work in Net2

Set each port to be at "Per Address" priority

Click the "Edit" button in GCE to set the priority for each input DMX channel as you describe above

If there's any prospect of there being anything on addresses above 96 (extra gateways for outputs, etc) you might want to consider what happens to the extra data and unpatch it with AIP - otherwise it doesn't matter.

And your scheme above should work just fine..

Tom

• Short answer : Yes!

Long answer:

Yes

Gateways need to be in Net3 mode, this won't work in Net2

Set each port to be at "Per Address" priority

Click the "Edit" button in GCE to set the priority for each input DMX channel as you describe above

If there's any prospect of there being anything on addresses above 96 (extra gateways for outputs, etc) you might want to consider what happens to the extra data and unpatch it with AIP - otherwise it doesn't matter.

And your scheme above should work just fine..

Tom

Children
  • Thanks.  I'm planning on leaving the remainder of the universe of DMX patched at priority 100 for true HTP between ballrooms at all times.   For the moment, there are no plans to output this anywhere else except to the theatrical rack in this ballroom.

One other thing-  This will be tied into a Paradigm system as well, but we are planning on leaving Paradigm as pure architectural contro, outputting on it's own universe to some Sensor+ racks at a higher priority so the archictectural loads will only respond to Paradigm, but I'm assuming I can also setup the processor to snapshot the theatrical DMX at some point and play it back either in HTP mode with the consoles, or at a higher or lower priority as requested by the client.

Related