Wireless Router & iRFR

I am running Congo V5.1 and now have the need to set up a wireless router so that I can use a iRFR on iPhone.

Networking isn't my strength but have read some bits on here and my understanding is that if I set the router and iPhone to the static IP addresses as stated in the related Wiki "How to set up your wireless network" and then connect to the console on its IP is this correct? I do need to set both router and iphone to a static IP?

I would really appreciate a quick guide and any pointers into setting up this wireless network as its something I ideally need to use at the weekend

Many Thanks

Adam

Parents
  • Ok so now I am pretty sure that I would be best to change both my router and my iPhone to the default IP's as discussed in "How to set up your wireless network". The iPhone is straightforward as its well described in the Wiki but I just have a few more specific questions with the router.

- Do I connect the console to the "WAN/Internet" port or one of the four "wired computer" ports?

- To change the IP of the router, am I changing the LAN IP or am I changing the ISP IP? The ISP IP lets me specify a static IP but on the LAN IP I can turn DHCP on and off.

Hope this makes my problem clearer - rather than the babbling last night!!

Many Thanks

ADAM

• Hi Adam-

To some degree, this depends on the router. Normally, a simple WAP (Wireless Access Point) will be easier to configure because it doesn't have any of the ISP/ADSL/WAN options. In general, WAN (Wide Area Network) settings are for broadband internet connections with cable or ADSL, and LAN (Local Area Network) is for local computers.

In your case, because you want to take the output of the Congo and broadcast it over wireless, you probably want to connect it to the WAN port. Similarly, you probably want to configure the WAN IP.

Hope that helps - it's always difficult to say because every router/WAP is different.

-luke-

• Hi Adam-

To some degree, this depends on the router. Normally, a simple WAP (Wireless Access Point) will be easier to configure because it doesn't have any of the ISP/ADSL/WAN options. In general, WAN (Wide Area Network) settings are for broadband internet connections with cable or ADSL, and LAN (Local Area Network) is for local computers.

In your case, because you want to take the output of the Congo and broadcast it over wireless, you probably want to connect it to the WAN port. Similarly, you probably want to configure the WAN IP.

Hope that helps - it's always difficult to say because every router/WAP is different.

-luke-

Children
  • I'm reviving this old thread because our venue just acquired a router to use with our Ion and I'm searching for the same sort of documentation myself. I found the wiki, but I was just sticking my nose out to see if there's anything I missed.

I'm most interested in what, if anything, needs to be done differently if there is to be more than one iDevice used with the console (though, presumably, not at the same time.)

Thanks!

Related