Net2 Node Issues

We are just wrapping up correcting a host of troubles we had with our network that seem to have been related to incorrect firmware and a bad POE injector.  The system consists of an Obsession II single processor running 5.1.0, three 4 Port Nodes, 4 2 Port Nodes, a Video Node, and a dedicated PC for NCE.

We were advised to run the Version Detect and Upgrade Utility from NCE 4.0.3 to roll back the firmware on all of the nodes, which we did.  Currently all of the Nodes show a "Net Version" of 4.0.x (the exact version varies from node to node for some reason), but all of the 2 Ports show an "App Version" of 4.1.x (again exact version varies).  What exactly is the difference between "Net Version" and "App Version"?

Also, I would like help parsing an error message we received at one point when we had devices falling over left and right. If I remember correctly it was: [memory address] (tNetTask): arp info overwirtten for [second memory address] by [MAC address].  I apologize, I know it would be more helpful if I had the specific memory addresses and MAC addresses.  The first time this happened it was two devices (a four port and the video node) each trying to overwrite the same memory address.  Based on my limited understanding of ARP tables, my guess was they were each trying to claim the same IP address, though this was not how they were configured.  While this was repeatedly happening the system essentially ground to a halt.  After we had corrected the firmware on all the nodes and replaced the bad POE injector, we got the same address once more, again the video node, but it only happened once and we didn't see any loss of function or communication between any of the devices.  It appears to be a non-issue, but if someone from ETC could more clearly elaborate on what's happening when that system message appears I would feel much better.  Thank you.

Jim

Jim Gross
Assistant Production Manager
TheatreWorks
Palo Alto, CA

Parents
  • My gut reaction after doing a quick read is that you indeed have two systems IP conflicting.  Probably (because I've done this before) you have a DHCP server running somewhere while you are also trying to assign the IPs manually, and those two pools are conflicting.  Once the DHCP server is removed, the system fixes itself.  Sometimes its easy to forget that NCE will run its own DHCP operation if you don't turn it off.  Also, depending on other network gear running in the system, one of them could be running DHCP, or if there is a consumer router in the system, it could be messing with the ARP tables if UPnP is running or some other "automatic" routing system.

• My gut reaction after doing a quick read is that you indeed have two systems IP conflicting.  Probably (because I've done this before) you have a DHCP server running somewhere while you are also trying to assign the IPs manually, and those two pools are conflicting.  Once the DHCP server is removed, the system fixes itself.  Sometimes its easy to forget that NCE will run its own DHCP operation if you don't turn it off.  Also, depending on other network gear running in the system, one of them could be running DHCP, or if there is a consumer router in the system, it could be messing with the ARP tables if UPnP is running or some other "automatic" routing system.

Children
No Data
Related