Can I set up my Insight 3 on a wireless network, or add a PC to achieve this?

I currently have a Insight 3 console with 3 sensor racks. I would like to either add this to an ethernet, or a PC so I can take advantage wireless applications on the iphone or ipad. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Kevin

Parents
  • Hi Kevin,

The Insight 3 is primarily a Net1 device, which is not really compatible with modern switches/routers (see http://community.etcconnect.com/wikis/products/etcnet-1-products.aspx).  I am not aware of any iPhone app that will control an Insight 3 (for the reasons above).  Additionally, if your Sensor rack is Sensor classic (with the red LED beacon at the top), that rack is not networked via ethernet either.  There may appear to be a RJ-45 connector on the front of the CEM, but this is used for configuration via serial, not ethernet.

(EDIT: Your racks wouldn't need to be networked, but it also limits the applications of a wireless network.)

The iPhone/iPad applications that you see from ETC for consoles on the App Store are for the Congo and Eos family of consoles, which use ETC Net3 networking. 

It was possible at one time to convert an Insight 3 to an Emphasis system, which ran Net2 protocols (which will run on modern ethernet networks).  However, that product has been discontinued and is no longer available.

[edited by: Hans.Hinrichsen at 8:22 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Nov 29 2010]
  • Hi Kevin,

The Insight 3 is primarily a Net1 device, which is not really compatible with modern switches/routers (see http://community.etcconnect.com/wikis/products/etcnet-1-products.aspx).  I am not aware of any iPhone app that will control an Insight 3 (for the reasons above).  Additionally, if your Sensor rack is Sensor classic (with the red LED beacon at the top), that rack is not networked via ethernet either.  There may appear to be a RJ-45 connector on the front of the CEM, but this is used for configuration via serial, not ethernet.

(EDIT: Your racks wouldn't need to be networked, but it also limits the applications of a wireless network.)

The iPhone/iPad applications that you see from ETC for consoles on the App Store are for the Congo and Eos family of consoles, which use ETC Net3 networking. 

It was possible at one time to convert an Insight 3 to an Emphasis system, which ran Net2 protocols (which will run on modern ethernet networks).  However, that product has been discontinued and is no longer available.

[edited by: Hans.Hinrichsen at 8:22 AM (GMT -6) on Mon, Nov 29 2010]
Children
  • Hans,

Thank you for the detailed answer. Not the answer I was looking for, but it is the answer. We are a small private high school, trying to stay up with the times. It is just a same that we would have to buy a $7-10K console to get the same features as the Insight 3, just to use a $500 Ipad. Thank you again for your help.

• If you are a bit savy you can set up some remote software using MIDI and an Ipad with a computer.  There are several programs available that use OSC to communicate between an ipad/ipod/iphone and a computer wirelessly.   Then all you need to do is set up midi between the computer and the console.  If you are looking for further help with this drop me a private message and we can continue this discussion through email. 

I have been toying with the various software/hardware options for creating your own remote for the last few years and have several options that I have been able to get working.

Related