2 venues, 2ipods, 2ions and 1network

Folks

Hoping you can help to see if this is possible.

I have got two venues both with Ion desks and sensor dimmers. I am wanting to setup a network between all the dimmers and desks so that I can (1) monitor and control them both from my laptop and (2) access a wireless access point in both venues for the ipod riggers remotes.

I have got any number of Cat6 cables installed to create a closed "ETC" network.

The other quick question is have anybody setup two ethernet connections on one laptop to allow them to keep the etc network and internal intranet system seperare.

Many Thanks, Keith

Parents
  • Keith 

While this is possible to set up, and yes it would work, are you sure you are willing to take the risk of show critical data over a wireless connection?  What happens if you drop wireless and you were supposed to go on a cue?

P-

• Sorry I worded that badly.

Im not planning on running a show over wireless is just to allow me to monitor the desks during shows and techs and take over control if there is something the designer or technicianm dont know how to do.

The plan is to have the dimmers, desk and laptop on a wired network with the wireless access point kept completely for the ipods. This would mean the access point can be powered down to during the run of the show for safety.

• Hi,

What you propose is certainly possible, but it rather depends on how your system is currently set up.

I assume you have Sensor+ racks rather than Sensor Classic?

Are you controlling the racks by DMX from the console or via sACN over the network?

Are the racks in the two spaces already on the same network, or are they separate to each other?

If they are currently on physically separated networks how are they addressed? Do both spaces start at 1, or are the dimmers uniquely numbered within the building as a whole?

Answers to these questions will help us advise.

Thanks!

Graham

• Hello

We do have Sensor + racks 7 in total (4 in the main house and 3 in the stduio) they are currently being installed! The racks are controlled via DMX.

I dont think the racks are networked at all, this will probable have to be something we do our selves once the builders have left.

The will be able to be connected to the same network as we have cat6 cable between both dimmer rooms.

Is there an ethernet in and out on the racks or will I need a hub in both dimmer room to connect them all?

• You will need a hub or router to connect all your racks. You may want to use a managed hub or a hub for each space with a router between them so you can isolate the traffic between 2 spaces.

I have a twist on this configuration in my space and it takes some serious brain sweat to sort out the interactions between all the devices. Your situation may be a little easier to manage than mine since I have 2 rooms and 2 racks, with the second rack split between the 2 spaces.

You may find something useful in this thread for some more background on my situation.

• Standard installation calls for a network between adjacent racks. They use it to become a "group" and function as if they are one rack. The chances are very good that there is a small router next to your racks. If you are putting in any architectural controls then you probably have a larger managed router.

Talk to whoever designed your improvements.

• Keith,

As RickR mentions we would normally recommend any group of Sensor racks to be networked together, even if the control source is solely DMX.

Having the whole group on the network allows all the processors to hold each others config. In the (unlikely) instance that one processor fails, it can be replaced by a new one and the config loaded in quickly over the network from any other rack.

Where are you located? I'm guessing somewhere in the UK or Europe? I would hope with a system of this size that it will be commissioned by an ETC Authorised Dealer rather than the general electrical contractor. They should be able to advise you on networking options. You can also call us at ETC directly if you have any questions which are better answered over the phone.

http://www.etcconnect.com/contact.aspx

• Keith,

As RickR mentions we would normally recommend any group of Sensor racks to be networked together, even if the control source is solely DMX.

Having the whole group on the network allows all the processors to hold each others config. In the (unlikely) instance that one processor fails, it can be replaced by a new one and the config loaded in quickly over the network from any other rack.

Where are you located? I'm guessing somewhere in the UK or Europe? I would hope with a system of this size that it will be commissioned by an ETC Authorised Dealer rather than the general electrical contractor. They should be able to advise you on networking options. You can also call us at ETC directly if you have any questions which are better answered over the phone.

http://www.etcconnect.com/contact.aspx

Children
  • grahamparker said:
    In the (unlikely) instance that one processor fails, it can be replaced by a new one and the config loaded in quickly over the network from any other rack.

I've had such an issue!! The upload didn't work correctly. Only 'brains'(CEM+) of same version can cross talk, and upload. is what I learned through experience.

• This is by design - all CEM+ in a Group must be running the same version of firmware - they'll refuse to acknowledge the 'different' ones and usually show an error if this isn't the case.

If a CEM+ running v1.0.0 were fitted into a system running CEM+ v3.1.2, it can't possibly know about the extra features and could only get very confused if it tried, so it must wait until you've updated its firmware to match the rest of the system.

It follows that if you have such a 'cold spare', any time that the firmware is updated in the 'hot' CEM+ processors you'll also need to remember to update the firmware in the cold spare.

It makes sense to test the cold spare from time to time anyway - the last thing you want is to find that the spare has been spindled or mutilated on the day you need it!

[edited by: Richard at 5:44 AM (GMT -6) on Thu, Nov 10 2011]
Related