Network slows down after enabling ACN with CEM+ modules

Hi,

I've got a small setup that is working great consisting of:

• ION console v1.9.1.9.0.30
  • Linksys SD208 10/100 switch
  • Netgear Netgear WPN802 v2 WAP
  • RFR connected via Net3 USB
  • iRFR on iPod Touch v 1.1.42 (through WAP)

This setup works great.  All are connected via a Linksys SD208 10/100 switch.  Both the RFR and iPod respond fast, have a great range and work together nicely.

I had ETC come out and teach me how to setup the CEM+Sensor racks on a network and connect them to the ION

My 6 racks are connected via a MiLan MiLS2400 10/100Base-TX Switch (24-port)  the homerun Ethernet cable (about 250 feet through the perms) is connected to my Linksys Switch by the console.

I have attached a PDF of my full settings.

Everything works.  Dimstat shows realtime rack information.  the ION can see all info on all racks.

But

My RFR and iRFR either keep losing connection and work incredibly SLOW!!!  too slow to be useful.

If I unplug the ethernet coming from the Racks, everything works fast again.

How do I speed this up? Or is a 10/100 network too slow for this setup?

Parents
  • First of all, I'd suggest upgrading your Ion to the latest version (1.9.6). That may be it, as I believe there were several improvements to how full-ACN traffic is handled between 1.9.1 and 1.9.6

Which version of CEM+ and RFR (handset and base) firmware are you using?

[edited by: Richard at 4:32 AM (GMT -6) on Thu, Mar 17 2011]
  •  

Jay

I agree with Richard in that you should be running the latest version of Ion Code V1.9.6.  With that said you should also be running the latest version of CEM+ code V3.1.1, to receive rack feedback.  There was also a point in which we moved from the Draft version of ACN to a Ratified version.  the other thing is to try a complete reboot of all devices including switches on the network.  There have been known issues with network crashes partially taking down the network.  The other question is are these manages switches.  If so you may want to try to turn off the management side of the switches or put in a simple switch.  Net3 uses multicasting to communicate with other Net3 devices on the system.  This could be part of the bottle neck.

P-

• Ok,

I upgraded the console to v1.9.6.9.0.3

CEM+ Modules are all v3.1.1.9.0.36

The switches I am using are unmanaged (not managed)

The RFR was an older revision but I used the GCE to update it to v2.07.

As of right now my problem is the same.  If I unplug the racks from the switch, both my RFR and iRFR respond fast as before.  When the racks on on the switch the RFR and iRFR both respond with a very HIGH lag time.  so much that it's not useful.

My network settings in the ION: Local IP Settings

• (DHCP OFF)
    • IP Address 10.101.90.101
    • subnet mast 255.255.0.0
    • Gateway 10.101.1.1
    • Network Services - on
    • Address Service (DHCP) - on
    • First Address 10.101.50.101
    • Number of addresses = 100
    • subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
    • Enable Routed Network = OFF
    • Default IP Gateway = blank

Protocols

• ANC + Local DMX
    • Sensor Rack Feedback = ON

For the rest you can refer back to my attached .pdf in the first post (keeping in mind I updated the ION & RFR)

• Hi Jaylaca,

First I have a clarification question. In your PDF, you have rack 5 and rack 6 with the same IP address. Is this a typo or do they actually have the same IP address?

Your PDF mentions a static IP address for your WAP but Dynamic Subnet Mask and Gateway. Can you confirm which of these settings is correct and what the current values are?

Have you tried swapping ports on the switches to eliminate a bad port?

Have you tried connecting each Sensor+ Rack one at a time to see if there might be an issue with only one of the racks that could be interfering with your network?

You mentioned a 250ft run of network cable. Is that total, or in addition to what is installed in the wall?

You may benefit from talking this through with your local ETC Tech Services:

Americas - 1.608.831.4116 or 1.800.688.4116
    London - +44 (0)20 8896 1000
    Germany - +49 (8024) 47 00-0
    Hong Kong - (+852) 2799 1220

• starksk said:

First I have a clarification question. In your PDF, you have rack 5 and rack 6 with the same IP address. Is this a typo or do they actually have the same IP address?  That's a typo.  Rack 5 = 10.101.90.105  Rack 6 = 10.101.90.106

Your PDF mentions a static IP address for your WAP but Dynamic Subnet Mask and Gateway. Can you confirm which of these settings is correct and what the current values are? The linksys WAP is set get its TCP/IP configuration from the DHCP server on your network (the ION's Network Services). I believe I set it's ip to 101.101.15.101 to set it up from my laptop.  Then I set it's  DHCP to "Client".  After I did that I could no longer access it directly since I don't have client services on my laptop.  But it works great on it's own with my iPod.

Have you tried swapping ports on the switches to eliminate a bad port?  Yes, tested all ports with on-lot tech

Have you tried connecting each Sensor+ Rack one at a time to see if there might be an issue with only one of the racks that could be interfering with your network?

You mentioned a 250ft run of network cable. Is that total, or in addition to what is installed in the wall?  That's total. 3 ft cable from 8-port switch to board.

I'll call tech support tomorrow, they' closed now.

• So what was the fix for the issue?  Inquiring minds want to know....

•  

• 1. If you unplug the racks from the switch, the response time improves and is acceptable. Can you try turning 'Off' Sensor Rack Feedback"?
    • 2. Are there any errors on the racks during this sluggishness?
    • 3. Could you set all Devices Gateway IP's to to 10.101.1.1 and see if this makes the suggishness go away?         
    • 4. Are there any other devices on the network (lighting gear or pc)?
    • 5. Is there a particular show file involved that we could get?
    • 6. Could we also get the CEM+ config?

thanks

• @ Corey - I'll work on getting this information posted

But so far no resolution.  My work around is to have the Sensor Racks connected directly to my laptop and run DimStat and also connect via ETConnect through Internet Explorer. 

Just to note, it all works.  Only the RFR and iRFR  lag out when the racks are connected to the ION.  I've got an updated RFR on the way with v2.07.  But my iPod is also super slow to respond, so I don't think it's the RFR firmware.

[edited by: Jaylaca at 10:57 AM (GMT -6) on Thu, Mar 24 2011]
  • I had re-imaged the ION to v 1.9.6, so everything is running the latest versions.

The last I could figure out before my show wrapped was that with StreamingACN and Sensor Rack Feedback enabled in the Ion's Networking setup, it just slowed the network down too much for either the RFR or iRFR (iPod) to work.  The latency was 5 to 15 seconds for any button-push/command on either RFR.  And it didn't matter if the RFR was USB or Ethernet.

The functions on the console all worked.  The Ion could see, control, and change any setting with the Sensor CEM+ racks themselves (such as Curves, etc)  But it made the RFR's just way too slow and completely unusable.  When I unplugged the network cable going to the dimmer room (MiLan switch and racks), everything worked fast again.

My work-around was to keep the racks plugged into my PC laptop running DimStat software and keep that network separate from the board/rfr setup.

Anyone wanting to run DimStat on their laptop, you will need to reference this limitation: http://community.etcconnect.com/wikis/products/knowledgebase-sensor-connect-with-internet-explorer-8.aspx

• I had re-imaged the ION to v 1.9.6, so everything is running the latest versions.

The last I could figure out before my show wrapped was that with StreamingACN and Sensor Rack Feedback enabled in the Ion's Networking setup, it just slowed the network down too much for either the RFR or iRFR (iPod) to work.  The latency was 5 to 15 seconds for any button-push/command on either RFR.  And it didn't matter if the RFR was USB or Ethernet.

The functions on the console all worked.  The Ion could see, control, and change any setting with the Sensor CEM+ racks themselves (such as Curves, etc)  But it made the RFR's just way too slow and completely unusable.  When I unplugged the network cable going to the dimmer room (MiLan switch and racks), everything worked fast again.

My work-around was to keep the racks plugged into my PC laptop running DimStat software and keep that network separate from the board/rfr setup.

Anyone wanting to run DimStat on their laptop, you will need to reference this limitation: http://community.etcconnect.com/wikis/products/knowledgebase-sensor-connect-with-internet-explorer-8.aspx

Children
  • Is this Challenge resolved yet?  If not.....U say the dimmer racks and Console are connected via DMX cabling AND Net3. 2 me sounds like the items running only on the network(RFR & iRFR) want the console to talk  via Net3 to the rack while the console wants to talk via DMX. this could cause a signal loop. Try unplugging the DMX from the console; forcing everything to use Net3 to communicate. 

Jake.

• You know, I never thought to do that.  But what you say makes sense in hindsight because when I unplugged the Ethernet  from the Racks (to the ION), and just had the DMX connected, everything went back to full speed with the RFR's and iRFR. 

The show is wrapped, so I'll test that next time I have a setup to play with....

Related