Connecting an Express 125 to a Net3 network

Good Evening.  In my venue I have a very nice network set up, and that is how I connect my Element.  One network cable and done.

I have a lighting designer coming in who would like to use their own board, which is fine with me, as I need mine at another event at the same time.  What I am wondering is how I can hook their board up to my system.  There is no DMX connection anywhere in my theater.  Everything connects through the network.  Suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Chris

• Unfortunately, the Express console will not connect to a Net2 or Net3 network natively, as it is limited to ETC's first version of the network ETCNet1. As part of an Emphasis system (which is also discontinued for new manufacture,) it could connect to an ETCNet2 system.

You can use a DMX node or Gateway to convert an incoming DMX signal into ETCNet, which would allow for you to plug the Express console in to control your dimmers.  You would need one input for each DMX port on the Express if you wanted to take advantage of both DMX ports.

Most sites that I've commissioned that have ETCNet only controls, do usually have some DMX gateways around, though they are usually configured for DMX Output.  Fortunately, you can re-configure them for INPUT but you may need a DMX Male to Male turnaround cable to make it work.

Good luck.

• I have two Network Nodes.  If I understood what you said, I can configure one of them as an input and then run the DMX line from the express to the node, and then plug the node into the network.  Is that correct?

Do you have any links or additional information to help with that?  Thanks

• Hi,

To re-configure your gateway (assuming it is a Net 3 gateway and not a Net 2 node?) you'll need to use the Gateway Configuration Editor software. This should be installed on your Element. Exit Element>Settings>Maintenance - GCE is about halfway down the list.

Run the software and you should see 'Online Devices' listed in the lower half of the screen. Double click the green arrow next to the gateway you want to reconfigure. This will open up a window where you can edit the properties of this gateway. Change the required port(s) mode to input and make sure the correct universe number is set. Click OK and you're done.

As Dennis mentioned, you'll need to make yourself a male to male DMX adaptor to go between the Express and the Gateway.

Don't forget to set the port back to Output when you're done!

Graham

• As Graham said, it is usually done with Gateway configuration Editor  (GCE) or Network Configuration Editor (NCE.)

As you have an Element, unless you have 1 port nodes, you should have GCE installed on your console.  IF you have 1 port nodes, then you will have to use NCE to re-configure them, and it may not be installed on your console.

At that point, I'd make contact with ETC tech support directly, as they should be able to talk you through everything that is needed to re-configure your devices.

Good luck.

• As a matter of fact, the GCE was installed.  I made sure that a node was plugged in and opened up the GCE and changed one to input. 

I was then able to run my board using my DMX cable through the node, which was plugged into the network.  Worked like a champ.  Thanks to everyone who passed along information.

Chris

Related