Use of a non-ETC Streaming ACN capable console?

I did a bit of searching, and didn't find any posts that answer my question.  It's a bit off topic, because it involves involves interoperability of ETC and non-ETC gear.

I'm currently working a show in a newly constructed high school auditorium.  It's an all ETC installation, with an Ion console, Sensor racks and DMX output "nodes" all tied together with ETCnet 3 over TCP/IP and Ethernet CAT5 cabling.  Or so I'm lead to believe, anyway, by the venue technical staff.  There is no provision for DMX input to the system.

My question is can I use a non-ETC console, which has Streaming ACN output capability, in this system?  My understanding is that the level signaling is via sACN, and other configuration, error and device intercommunication takes place via "full" ACN.  It's not clear to me that the sACN output of my personal console extends to "full" ACN capability.

If I can use a "generic" sACN console with this system, are there any other setup or configuration issues that I would need to worry about?  For example IP addressing?  Would the system be configured by default to use IP subnet broadcast?  Or does the system somehow know the unicast IP address of the primary (Ion) console?  What about "priority" tagging of the sACN stream?

Understandably, the documentation provided with the system does not cover interoperability with third-party product.  

Regards,

Dave Nelson
d.b.nelson|design 

Parents
  • Dave,

One of the great advantages to an industry standard protocol like sACN is that as long as the manufacture has implemented the protocol per the specification it will work with another manufacturers product. The simple answer to your question is yes. you can use your console if it outputs sACN and it will work the Net3 gateways and dimmers that are configured.

One item of note...

There are two versions of sACN. The current "ratified" version and the previous "draft" version. All etc products the receive sACN support both versions for input so you should be fine. Most other manufacturers products require configuration for which version you use. If there are non ETC sACN products this could cause complications for you, but form your description above, you shouldn't have any issues. Of course, our Support department can always be contacted if you do encounter an issue.

• Dave,

One of the great advantages to an industry standard protocol like sACN is that as long as the manufacture has implemented the protocol per the specification it will work with another manufacturers product. The simple answer to your question is yes. you can use your console if it outputs sACN and it will work the Net3 gateways and dimmers that are configured.

One item of note...

There are two versions of sACN. The current "ratified" version and the previous "draft" version. All etc products the receive sACN support both versions for input so you should be fine. Most other manufacturers products require configuration for which version you use. If there are non ETC sACN products this could cause complications for you, but form your description above, you shouldn't have any issues. Of course, our Support department can always be contacted if you do encounter an issue.

Children
No Data
Related