Using a gateway to merge DMX sources

I have three different sources of DMX, all not ETC.  I want to merge the three sources of DMX.  From what I've read here on the forums, I should be able to do that with an I/O gateway.  However, there is no network currently in place.  If I use a 4-port gateway, can I use three ports as inputs and the fourth as an output?  Two of the three inputs would have the same priority, and the third would have a higher priority.  Will the gateway work alone, or does it need a network?  If it does need a network, can I use one gateway for input, one for output, and just a consumer network switch?  Would it be better if the network switch has POE?  Or, am I missing something, and I really need hardware specifically designed to merge DMX?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

• 0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false

You can use a Net3 gateway to merge multiple DMX sources, however you will need a DMX gateway, not an I/O gateway. An I/O gateway is used with a lighting console to interact with contact closures and RS232 serial.

You can do this without a network connection however this is not the intended function for a gateway so you can see slight latency when used in this way. If you use the latest software you will see slightly better results that with older software. If you need the best possible performance this would not be the recommended method, while it does work, a Net3 DMX gateway was really designed to translate between DMX and sACN.

For the best results you should use two gateways, one for the DMX inputs and a second for the DMX outputs with a networking between them. Any standard Network switch will work fine. PoE is not required; you can use an external power supply to power the gateways. You could also use a stand DMX merger if you do not have any other reason for a Network in the system.

Hope this is useful.

[edited by: bpalmer at 11:59 PM (GMT -6) on Sat, Mar 24 2012]
Related