4 Port gateway looks online?

I just ran-into this issue last night(almost literally right into the 4 port gateway while batten was down). I've got a work around I'll describe later, yet has anyone discovered the issue causing? Being I can't recreate the issue I'm unable to prevent it in future.

This past saturday(3/25/12) we struck our musical. Over the following 3 days set-up general stage wash for rentals. When attempting to get scrollers working in the 'Rental' show file, they just wouldn't do anything. The Power signal lights on both scrollers, power supply and 4 port gateway were on/flashing as the should be. During strike the scrollers, cabling, power supply, DMX gateway didn't  move as for pan/tilt nor did they change where hung on batten, NOT EVEN the cabling moved. I did verify all connections just for shitsNgrins:) I got my laptop out and check on the Gateway via G.C.E. GCE only found my RFR base online. unpluged the nework from the 4 port gatewayst , 10 count, then plugged back in. GCE found the gateway about same time the power supply did. Now it works as expected.

I'm totally dumb-founded here. Never have I had a piece of ETC equipment require a restart because it didn't want to function. To fix an intermittent hick-up is different, and expected.

So for the work around:

Just had to 'restart' the gateway. By unplugging the Network cable(I have PoE network) and plug back in.

The short version:

Lights say, 4 port DMX gateway working but GCE doesn't find it as an 'online' device.

Anyone else experience this issue?

Parents
  • This is a pretty cold post and I don't have extensive experience with the gateways, but this sounds suspiciously like a problem we had on our office network.  

Are you using dynamic IP addresses?  If so, could there have been some moment when the gateway re-booted while someone's laptop was connected to the network?  In our case, the Appleshare DHCP service got enabled on someone's laptop; every time someone logged in, it handed them a bad IP address. It took us about a day to figure out why our network was decaying.  If this is what was happening at your end, my hypothesis is that the gateway was given a bad IP address outside of the range the GCE was looking in.  When you rebooted the gateway, it would have been assigned a new, functional address by the correct DHCP service.

Can anyone from ETC say if this theory holds water?

• This is a pretty cold post and I don't have extensive experience with the gateways, but this sounds suspiciously like a problem we had on our office network.  

Are you using dynamic IP addresses?  If so, could there have been some moment when the gateway re-booted while someone's laptop was connected to the network?  In our case, the Appleshare DHCP service got enabled on someone's laptop; every time someone logged in, it handed them a bad IP address. It took us about a day to figure out why our network was decaying.  If this is what was happening at your end, my hypothesis is that the gateway was given a bad IP address outside of the range the GCE was looking in.  When you rebooted the gateway, it would have been assigned a new, functional address by the correct DHCP service.

Can anyone from ETC say if this theory holds water?

Children
No Data
Related