Sensor ELV10 Fault

The ELV10 spec sheet mentions a input and output LED on each module.  Ours have one labeled "signal" and one labeled "fault".  Anyone know what the fault LED indicates?

• Hello,

You are quite right - we'll fix the spec sheet.

The ELV10 is a reverse phase module (see here for more info on what that means). Reverse phase modules are more electronically complex than SCRs and have internal electronic shutdown that may activate if you have the wrong type of load (for example a transformer) connected, or if the module is overloaded. That is what the "Fault" LED indicates - the modules internal electronics have shut down. You can "reset" the module by just turning the breaker off and back on again; but before you do that you should investigate the load to see if it might be a problem.

Let us know if you're seeing fault lights, especially what type of load you have and how you are running it.

Hope that helps,

Tom

• Thanks Tom,

That does help.  This is a new installation (1 year old) and this dimmer is part of the house light system.  Its load is low voltage downlights with electronic transformers and has been working fine until this one glitch.  I did turn the breaker off and back on but I'm not sure if that was when the problem was resolved (we were about to start a show).  It's been working fine since.
    Will the dimmer reset itself if the event that triggered the fault is cured or must it be reset by the breaker?  Meanwhile we will keep an eye on this dimmer and check out the load fixtures during maintenance.

Cheers,
    Eric

• Hi Eric,

The dimmer tries a couple of times to turn on in a fault condition, and then shuts down and turns on the fault light until you reset the breaker (on the theory that something is wrong so some intervention is needed).

Yep, I would agree - keep an eye on it and during your maintenance period look for any dead lamps or transformers that might have caused the fault.

-Tom

Related