Testing Dimmer Modules

Ok, so this might be a really stupid thing to ask, but is there a way to test the components of a dimmer module in order to pin point the malfunctioning component?

Doesn't seem like I should have to replace the whole module if only one part is broken.

Thanks!

• Well, on Sensor D20/15 there really aren't that many components to a dimmer module.  Really just the chokes (very unlikely failure point), the connector pins on the back (also unlikely unless improperly installed), the breakers (possible, but unusual) and the dimmer cube itself (most likely).  To check the connectors visibly inspect the contact points and connections with the module out of the rack for any loose or damaged connection points (ALWAYS shut down the rack before removing or installing dimmer modules and never work on an energized rack without all modules properly installed!)  It's possible that the issue is not with the dimmer module at all, but with the slot.  Have you moved a working dim module to the slot where the non-working module is (be sure they are the same type module - D15/20, F20/ R20 etc).  If the problem doesn't follow the module you could have an issue with control signal coming into the slot or a circuit issue downstream in the building or distro wiring.  If the problem persists in the same module tray, the issue is likely in the dimmer cube.  To check the dimmer cube you can swap the cube from a working module into the non-working module fairly easily and re-install in the rack (again - RACK OFF!).   If the problem follows the dimmer cube, you've found your problem, if not it may be in the circuit wiring downstream, or could be the breaker (though breaker failure would typically be the breaker won't reset or trips under any load).  Only real likely choke failure would be a loose or broken connection.  Dimmer cubes are less expensive than an entire module, but will still probably run you $100-200 depending on where you are.

Not sure I can help you with the issue if you're working with relay, fluorescent, or GFCI gear as these are different components entirely, though I'm sure someone else will pipe in on that.

• Oh, and Greg will be much more qualified since he's here...

• Thanks Ray, you pretty much nailed it! 

What is the error condition you are experiencing with the dimmer? 

Verify the problem follows the module as Ray suggested above, using all o fthe safety protocols he suggested of course.

If the problem stays in the slot, then you should contact our tech support or your local dealer to help you resolve the issue.

If it follows the module, then that really limits what it could be.

You can check the breaker outside of the rack with just a continuity tester from the power input contacts to where the power enters the cube. With the breaker on you should get continuity through the choke. 

Swapping the cube is incredibly easy. One screw in the back  and 2 spade connections. Pay attention to where they came off or your circuits would be inverted. Also if your module is older with the "Fish Paper" covers, make sure that is properly inserted as before.  The cubes themselves are not servicable and woudl have to be replace with the same cube. I believe you are looking for a ETC Part # Q141 which will be printed on the SCR cube. 

If you confirm the problem is within the SCR cube, contact yoru local dealer and they can set you up with a new cube.   If your budget allows and you have a lot of the same dimmers, it isn't a bad idea to puirchase a spare or two to have on hand in teh future. That way you can have it back up and running in a few minutes and order a new one when time is not of the essence.   

I hope this helps, and thanks again Ray!

Greg

Related