Heads up to the UK contingent - issue with some second hand D15's

Hi all,

Just a report on an issue (and fix) with some of the second hand D15s kicking around on the market over here.

I have acquired a couple of hundred channels of Sensor from a used gear vendor for a job, and have discovered that one older version of the D15 does not meet creapage and clearance requirements WRT the lower terminal on the breaker.  The fix, as suggested by ETC UK is to add a plastic shim as secondary insulation under this terminal, and I can now confirm that cut up plastic ice cream carton does the job (Invoicing the refurbishment  project for the ice cream is one I am still trying to get past the accounts department however).

It is very tight as there just is not a lot of clearance between the blade connector and the casting, but it can be done, and if you have modules of that vintage I would personally recommend doing it during annual maintenance as a short to earth there could be rather spectacular.

Obviously not one to attempt if you are not comfortable around dimmer sized power supplies, but I thought it might be useful to whoever ended up with the other modules from that batch. The modules I have that exhibit this are dated 1997, and it is fixed on my 1999 examples.

Absolutely not a dig at ETC who had clearly identified the problem and fixed it some time ago, and who tracked someone down who remembered the change when I enquired if there had been a problem, but just a warning that there are old modules out there that benefit from a little attention before putting back into use.  

Regards, Dan. 

Related