Dimmer Stays Hot... Help?

We have two Strands on a boom and they won't turn off.. the only way is to manually switch the breakers at the rack. Could it be a faulty dimmer? or something else? Could this problem be diognosed from the ETC Link?
Parents
  • There are two things to try, assuming this is a Sensor system.

1. Set the dimmer channels to zero using the controls on the CEM facepanel.
      • This will eliminate the possibility of accidentally 'parked' channels or other overrides coming from the control system.
      • If they respond then something is forcing the channels on, so look through your control system to find the source.
    2. If this doesn't have any effect, try swapping a 'known good' dimmer module with the 'suspect' one.
      • Turn off the breakers before removing the module to prevent arc damage to the contacts!

If the 'good' module solves the problem, then you've almost certainly got a failed Power Cube in the suspect dimmer module.
    Call your local ETC dealer and ask for a replacement power cube for the type of dimmer module you have - eg "D20".

They'll know the part number from that, and can give you a price (if it's out-of-warranty). ETC keep lots of these in stock so you should get a new one very quickly.

Replacing a power cube is relatively simple and only takes a minute (one screw, a few unpluggable wires and cable ties to make it neat), but if you're not confident with changing them I'm sure your dealer will be happy to help.

It's often worth having one or two spare power cubes sat in your spares cupboard, just in case you lose channels and need to repair them faster than the postal service!

One thing I will mention is that this sounds very much like an 'emergency' situation.
    Forums like this one aren't the best place for a fast response, especially late at night!

You are always welcome to call your local ETC office directly, 24-hours a day, 365 ¼ days a year.

Telephone numbers can be found here.

[edited by: Richard at 2:06 AM (GMT -6) on Sun, Apr 13 2008]
  • Ok i'll have to try replacing the power cube... thanks. and it's not an "emergency" situation I have just been keeping it off at the breakers.

We swapped that dimmer w/ another and the booms turned off and work perfectly now.

Reply Children
No Data
Related