Source4 dimmer on 208v source

When using a Source4 Dimmer with a traditional source4, 750w lamp, should the load come out to 3.3 amps per leg?  I am guessing that is the case.  If so, it would seem I could run four Source4 Dimmers with this load in a 20amp/208v circuit.  Does this sound correct?

Thanks for any input.

Parents
  • I'm not sure how you got to 3.3A, but when using 208V loads on a 2-pole circuit breaker there is no "per leg" in the calculation. The load is the same on both wires. Of course, the math does get a little more complicated if you're talking about a 3-pole circuit breaker with the potential for other loads across different legs.

That said, this is kind of a weird application because the voltage at the lamp is not 208V, but 120V. The dimmer just limits the maximum voltage being sent to the lamp. That means your power calculations should be based on a 20A 120V circuit and you ignore the fact that you're feeding the dimmer with 208V.

If the breaker is 100% rated, then you could use three 750W lamps *continuously. If it's an 80% rated breaker (typical thermal-magnetic), then you can still use three lamps intermittently, but would be limited to just two 750W lamps per circuit if you want them all on continuously.

*For reference, "continuous load" typically means greater than 3 hours, but thermal-magnetic breakers will have some variation depending on environmental conditions.
  • I'm not sure how you got to 3.3A, but when using 208V loads on a 2-pole circuit breaker there is no "per leg" in the calculation. The load is the same on both wires. Of course, the math does get a little more complicated if you're talking about a 3-pole circuit breaker with the potential for other loads across different legs.

That said, this is kind of a weird application because the voltage at the lamp is not 208V, but 120V. The dimmer just limits the maximum voltage being sent to the lamp. That means your power calculations should be based on a 20A 120V circuit and you ignore the fact that you're feeding the dimmer with 208V.

If the breaker is 100% rated, then you could use three 750W lamps *continuously. If it's an 80% rated breaker (typical thermal-magnetic), then you can still use three lamps intermittently, but would be limited to just two 750W lamps per circuit if you want them all on continuously.

*For reference, "continuous load" typically means greater than 3 hours, but thermal-magnetic breakers will have some variation depending on environmental conditions.
Children
No Data
Related