Dimmer doubler noob

Hello All,

I will be using our dimmer doublers for the first time on our upcoming production and I have a few questions:

1.  In a perfect situation, the two fixtures to be doubled would be more or less right next to each other, but in my situation, (studio theatre with three large rectangular trusses) one unit might be in one location and the second unit might be on the opposite side of the truss. My doublers have twist lock ends on them (for obvious reasons!)  I'm just not quite sure how to handle this situation.

2.  I create my plots in Vectorworks Spotlight (v2009sp2) and then output the patch to my ION.  How do I note this on my plot to take advantage of the dimmer doubler.

3.  How does the doubled dimmers actually appear on the console?

Sorry if these questions are overly simple.  I am good with my ION and good with Spotlight, but this is kind of throwing me and I want to have it figured out before tech!

Thanks,

Parents
  • 1. You are going to need extension cords with the appropriate connectors to connect longer runs. The twist-lok is used in part as a safety feature to mitigate the chance of accidentally connecting an instrument with a 77V lamp into a 120V circuit. You DID remember to change the connectors on your instruments to twist-lok.

2. If it were me, I would use the A/B convention on my plot, dimmer 1 doubled becomes 1A and 1B. You could use absolute addressing 1A = 1, 1B = 257 (DMX default) or 20001 (ACN default) but I find that the A/B suffix serves as a reminder that the circuit is dimmer-doubled.

3. Ion allows you to reference the dimmer using A/B notation or absolute address. I use A/B notation. When you are done patching, the dimmer shows up with whatever channel number you've assigned, just like any other generic dimmer would.

• 1. You are going to need extension cords with the appropriate connectors to connect longer runs. The twist-lok is used in part as a safety feature to mitigate the chance of accidentally connecting an instrument with a 77V lamp into a 120V circuit. You DID remember to change the connectors on your instruments to twist-lok.

2. If it were me, I would use the A/B convention on my plot, dimmer 1 doubled becomes 1A and 1B. You could use absolute addressing 1A = 1, 1B = 257 (DMX default) or 20001 (ACN default) but I find that the A/B suffix serves as a reminder that the circuit is dimmer-doubled.

3. Ion allows you to reference the dimmer using A/B notation or absolute address. I use A/B notation. When you are done patching, the dimmer shows up with whatever channel number you've assigned, just like any other generic dimmer would.

Children
No Data
Related